Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 09:04:55 pm

Author Topic: Uni course help  (Read 1055 times)  Share 

CH3ezEC4KE

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Berwick
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Uni course help
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:53 am »
Would it be better to do accounting/banking and finance, rather than my first preference which is management and marketing? I'm thinking of applying for a negotiated offer considering its not in my preferences however without doing accounting in vce, I'm not sure whether it would be wise.
2012-Legal Studies-(41), Business Management-(42)
2013-2017- BBus (Management)/BBus (Marketing)

2014- Monash University Elite Athlete Program/Monash Sport Scholarship Recipient

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: Uni course help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:32 am »
Depends on your interests. The first-year core unit, AFF1000: Principles of accounting and finance, is taught from scratch regardless of whether you did Accounting in high school or not. If you're not sure what you want to major in, then perhaps consider a more general degree because the Accounting/Banking and Finance double ties you down from year one.

CH3ezEC4KE

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59:29 am »
My first preference is management/marketing, however from what I've heard management is probably not the best course to do as an undergrad. Management is my interest but it might not work out well without a foundation

2014- Monash University Elite Athlete Program/Monash Sport Scholarship Recipient

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:14:54 am »
With any unit in first-year, everything is taught from scratch so I wouldn't worry too much about having a foundation or not. There is a difference between Management/Marketing and Accounting/Banking and Finance though. The units related to Accounting/Banking and Finance involve a lot more calculations/numbers, whereas Management/Marketing is more theory-based. I'd stick with your first preference.

CH3ezEC4KE

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:07 am »
I guess im just worried that a management/marketing degree wont reallyget me anywhere and ill be stuck at some fast food place forever lol. Are they easy type of calculations comparable to further math or more in depth? My maths is ok but not the absolute best in terms of methods type equations. Theory appeals more, but again job wise it concerns me, especially because at th moment im not one of the stereotypical Uber confident marketing students unfortunately

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:55:45 am »
It's merely basic maths (i.e. addition, subtraction), but logically gets progressively harder with the use of formulas etc.. You won't really get anywhere in any degree if you don't work hard. It's what you make of your course that matters. Don't jump into a course which you have no interest in because you'll find it boring as hell and hence, will find it hard to motivate yourself to work. I think personally, interest is paramount to success.