Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:49:44 am

Author Topic: Changing my first name by law?  (Read 1007 times)  Share 

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
Changing my first name by law?
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:38:34 pm »
I've been thinking about this for a while because my name (Alperen) is hard to pronounce and when I first meet people I have to repeat my name couple of times, also I have some difficulty repeating my name over and over again when I do something on phone. To avoid this, I want to change my name to 'Al' or 'Alp'. My question is that if I change my name, what would happen to official documents such as passport, licence and my ID at uni? Do you know anyone that has changed their name? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:50:04 pm by forgottenC »
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

Jayward

Re: Changing your first name by law?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »
I think that you would need to just make newly updated versions of your uni ID, licence and passport. i dont think it would be all that much of an issue, because people do change their names relatively frequently, so im sure the paperwork folk will be accomodating :D

I just hope that you've really thought this through, in terms of the potential social/psychological ramifications. Im sure that you've put a lot of time into coming to this decision, and i know it must be a little irritating when people mispronounce your name (trust me, ive been there), but is that really enough for you to change part of your identity? Just food for thought i suppose. this is really none of my business, and i just wanted to add my 2 cents. I hope everything turns out well for you :)

And youre name seems fine. great even. It doesnt seem that hard to pronounce at all :)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Changing my first name by law?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:43:30 pm »

You can just put your shortened name on most of your forms or tell people to call you that without changing it, might be an option.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:46:48 pm »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. I will definitely consider your thoughts :)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:37 am »
I don't think it would be too hard to change... I mean, I'm sure hundreds of women get married and change their surnames everyday.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »
I just let people pronounce my name the way they want to, no need to teach people the actual pronunciation or change my name

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »
If you do decide to go ahead with it, there is a general guide here. It seems like you have to have all your official documents updated. One thing which I often notice is that on official forms, they sometimes ask for any previous names which you've had.

A simpler solution (with less long-term ramifications) could be to get people to call you by a nickname or a shortened version of your name, as kingpomba suggested.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:19 am »
Thanks guys.. Seems like I'm gonna stick to the shortened version of my name unless i do something official.