Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 09:49:56 am

Author Topic: UoM: Bachelor of Science-Physics  (Read 1321 times)  Share 

FTstarlingisland

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
UoM: Bachelor of Science-Physics
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:09:05 pm »
Hi. I am currently attempting to enrol into my Science degree and have some questions regarding which physics to do and when. I did not do Physics in VCE, however, I am hoping to do Optometery as my graduate degree. This means i would have to do Physics: Fundamentals correct? Am i able to do this in second year even though it is a level 1 subject? I am asking because I can't fit it into my current study plan:
SEMESTER 1: BIO, CHEM1, CALCULUS1 BREADTH
SEMESTER 2: BIO, CHEM2, CALCULUS2 BREADTH
would it be better to do physics:fundamentals instead of calculus 2 or am i able to do it in second year?
Thanks!

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
Re: UoM: Bachelor of Science-Physics
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:17 pm »
Hi. I am currently attempting to enrol into my Science degree and have some questions regarding which physics to do and when. I did not do Physics in VCE, however, I am hoping to do Optometery as my graduate degree. This means i would have to do Physics: Fundamentals correct? Am i able to do this in second year even though it is a level 1 subject? I am asking because I can't fit it into my current study plan:
SEMESTER 1: BIO, CHEM1, CALCULUS1 BREADTH
SEMESTER 2: BIO, CHEM2, CALCULUS2 BREADTH
would it be better to do physics:fundamentals instead of calculus 2 or am i able to do it in second year?
Thanks!

You can do it in second year, except I don't know whether physics is still a requirement or not for optometry
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »
You can take it in second year but I would take it in first year in place of breadth if you do have to do it.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

FTstarlingisland

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:31:34 pm »
Oh I thought it was still a requirement considering Optometry has a lot of Physics in it.
Can I do it as a breadth even though it is a breadth subject? I thought your breadth subjects had to be outside your area of study, so outside of science.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
+1
You don't have to do six breadths.  You can take an extra two science subjects and just do four breadths.  So you could make Physics one of those extra subjects this semester.
Physics won't be counted as a breadth.  See the thread below this where I posted a quote from the handbook on the same question if you like :)

FTstarlingisland

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »
Ohh okay haha. Would it be better to do it this year or second year though considering the work load? Physics is not really my best subject. :/

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »
How do you feel about the other subjects?  First year is obviously easier than second year.  I found Physics difficult when I did it but I was only doing three subjects at the time.  I would probably take it in first year over second year depending on what you might like to study in second year - your work load will only get greater as time goes on.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:44 pm »
I checked with the Melbourne Graduate School of Science and physics isn't actually a prerequisite for optometry. Except there's the problem of deciphering whether to take it for the Gamsat. I agree with mavis that it's a subject that is best suited for your first year, because the workload for your other subjects in second year is going to get worse.

JV-12

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »
I checked with the Melbourne Graduate School of Science and physics isn't actually a prerequisite for optometry. Except there's the problem of deciphering whether to take it for the Gamsat. I agree with mavis that it's a subject that is best suited for your first year, because the workload for your other subjects in second year is going to get worse.

I'm planning on doing Physics 1: fundamentals to assist me in the GAMSAT as I didn't do physics 3/4, do you think it will be enough cover the physics component on the GAMSAT?

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:41:08 pm »
I'm planning on doing Physics 1: fundamentals to assist me in the GAMSAT as I didn't do physics 3/4, do you think it will be enough cover the physics component on the GAMSAT?

They don't really give you a list of physics topics for the GAMSAT but I know a lot of people do physics fundamentals as an alternative

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
+1
Fundamentals definitely doesn't cover everything on the GAMSAT.  It covers Newton's laws and optics and sound and that is it.  Fundamentals doesn't cover things like currents/electricity or fluids so you would need to learn those yourself (as I am, right now!).

JV-12

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 05:31:16 pm »
Fundamentals definitely doesn't cover everything on the GAMSAT.  It covers Newton's laws and optics and sound and that is it.  Fundamentals doesn't cover things like currents/electricity or fluids so you would need to learn those yourself (as I am, right now!).

Do you think physics is an easy subject to self study?

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:34 pm »
Not for me because I suck at it but if you're more mathematically inclined then maybe?  I had to re-teach myself everything I learnt in Fundamentals anyway because the teaching style didn't really work for me.