Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:09:34 am

Author Topic: Gap year help? To go or not go volunteering overseas?  (Read 1741 times)  Share 

treehouse

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Gap year help? To go or not go volunteering overseas?
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:11:07 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm taking a gap year this year. The thing is, I've always craved independence.although my parents are quite reluctant at the moment about this, I want to go volunteering overseas. I really think I need this for myself, however I'm scared as I dont know what to expect. I'm afraid of wanting to go back home.I'm also not a very good traveller,  and I'm definitely not confident with trying to find my way through and exploring a new country.

Has anyone of you gone volunteering overseas and have anything that will help me? Are my fears rational? Should I just take the leap and do it, even if everything may go wrong.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.  :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:50:09 am by iheartthestrokes »

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: Gap year help? To go or not go volunteering overseas? med student hopeful
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:28:51 am »
Overall, it sounds like you should do it. Travel has a huge effect on your life and I am a big advocate for school leavers taking gap years. You might find teaching kids English difficult if you have no affinity for kids - remember that whilst you want to leave your comfort zone, you don't actually want to be doing something you dislike. I don't connect with kids and never have and so I just find other volunteering and travel experiences that work for me (like hands on farm work or helping building homes). That's my only reservation about your plan, to me. But the beauty of travelling is it's flexibility. If you don't like where you are or what you're doing, you can usually do something about it pretty easily.
You are very normal in feeling terrified. I think you are very brave doing something like that so young. You will grow and learn. Don't expect it to be easy at first. Even the most outgoing of people take time to form new relationships. It usually takes a good couple of weeks (or more) to feel like you're a bit at home. And if you've never been away from home before, even two weeks can feel like ages. But just push through that stage, I think.
Go for it buddy. Cram as much into life as you can. Good luck with your exciting year ahead x
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

treehouse

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:02:58 pm »
Overall, it sounds like you should do it. Travel has a huge effect on your life and I am a big advocate for school leavers taking gap years. You might find teaching kids English difficult if you have no affinity for kids - remember that whilst you want to leave your comfort zone, you don't actually want to be doing something you dislike. I don't connect with kids and never have and so I just find other volunteering and travel experiences that work for me (like hands on farm work or helping building homes). That's my only reservation about your plan, to me. But the beauty of travelling is it's flexibility. If you don't like where you are or what you're doing, you can usually do something about it pretty easily.
You are very normal in feeling terrified. I think you are very brave doing something like that so young. You will grow and learn. Don't expect it to be easy at first. Even the most outgoing of people take time to form new relationships. It usually takes a good couple of weeks (or more) to feel like you're a bit at home. And if you've never been away from home before, even two weeks can feel like ages. But just push through that stage, I think.
Go for it buddy. Cram as much into life as you can. Good luck with your exciting year ahead x

Bobbitle. I'm so glad you replied to my post. I really needed to hear those words. I actually love building connections with others.I'm glad that what I'm feeling is normal,and i definitely needed to hear that it won't  be easy but I can push through. Those words are very motivating. Thank you! I'm going to do it! I think I'm more determined about making this trip a reality now ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:52:44 am by iheartthestrokes »

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »
I think that's great that you're going for it.  I hope you have an amazing time.

My mum always used to give me this advice that really rings true when I am travelling if I am feeling out of place or uncomfortable (Like you I also have self confidence issues but when I'm travelling everyone always thinks I'm really confident and self assured - not true deep down!)

She would say, look outwards, not inwards. Be generous with your time, ears, and heart. Don't be self centred and insular, worrying about what people think of you, because nobody can connect with that.  Be interested in other people and they will be interested in return.  People love to talk about themselves so ask them everything you can think of instead of worrying about the impression you are making or whether or not you are making a connection.  You will discover wonderfully interesting things about other people when you are travelling.  Don't worry if you don't have many of your own stories yet - that's why you're doing something that scares you.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

treehouse

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:57:26 pm »
I think that's great that you're going for it.  I hope you have an amazing time.

My mum always used to give me this advice that really rings true when I am travelling if I am feeling out of place or uncomfortable (Like you I also have self confidence issues but when I'm travelling everyone always thinks I'm really confident and self assured - not true deep down!)

She would say, look outwards, not inwards. Be generous with your time, ears, and heart. Don't be self centred and insular, worrying about what people think of you, because nobody can connect with that.  Be interested in other people and they will be interested in return.  People love to talk about themselves so ask them everything you can think of instead of worrying about the impression you are making or whether or not you are making a connection.  You will discover wonderfully interesting things about other people when you are travelling.  Don't worry if you don't have many of your own stories yet - that's why you're doing something that scares you.

Oh my... hobbitle your advice is amazing. right on point. I love your mum! You're also spot on with the whole having my own stories thing,  I've had a pretty uneventful life, but yes i'm going to do something that scares me. and I guess even if it doesn't go as well as I wanted it to, I have a story that I can talk about and reflect on when things get tough. The whole being generous with your time, ears and heart and looking outwards is perfect advice, amazingly put. I've always struggled with trying to make good impressions on people and largely focusing on that, rather than living in the actual moment. What you're saying is completely true.
Thank you so much. I really needed that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:57:48 am by iheartthestrokes »