Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 23, 2024, 01:34:02 pm

Author Topic: Writing in Context: Writing poetry in Section B  (Read 1015 times)  Share 

nowayjose

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Writing in Context: Writing poetry in Section B
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:35 pm »
Hey :)
In my Unit 3 Writing in Context SAC/Outcome, I had written an 800-word imaginative poem letter in the context of Encountering Conflict. I've received feedback from teachers saying that it's "well-written" and "almost faultless". In fact, my teacher says it is so well-written that she's suggested, knowing she wasn't supposed to, that I memorise and rewrite it in the Section B part of the exam, adapting it to the prompt where possible.
Could I be provided with a second opinion on this approach?
Also, would I be able to have someone read my poem and see if it's actually worth investing time into memorising it, improving it, and practising its adaptation to different prompts?
I want to send it privately just in case it actually is good.

The text we're studying is Brecht's Life of Galileo, by the way.

Thank you so much! ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:08:18 am by nowayjose »

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
Re: Writing in Context: Writing poetry in Section B
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:21:34 am »
+1
I know you may have done well writing an imaginative poem letter for context in the SAC, but the exam is most likely to be an entirely different matter. In the exams, you only have 3 hours to write 3 essays, when makes it one hour each. This is not the most ideal situation in terms of whipping up an imaginative essay to adhere to a prompt. That is possibly why you teacher asked to memorise and rewrite your essay for the exam.

However, you must clearly adhere to the prompt and form what teacher at my school as said (and some are actual examiners btw), people who rewrite memorised essays do not tend to do very well in such an area. Furthermore, Assessors are looking a how students are able to respond to unseen material, and a memorised essay would clearly not display that, and it would be obvious that your essay was pre-written and pre-prepared.

So instead of memorising essays and twist it to any prompt, what I suggest you do is to make up some story in your head that you can twist into any prompt. That means you will have to make up a story that is broad enough such that basically any prompt will suit. So with your story, just look up English prompts for you relevant context and attempt to twist your story to that (scroll all the way down to context if you follow the link). Also, have a backup essay form in case you get a prompt which you cannot twist your story to, perhaps expository or opinion piece.

So memorising essay: I'd advise against it. You memories your story instead. I feel that you are not comfortable posting your essay in the English Work Submission and Marking board, which will allow us to properly read over your essay and give our best feedback and if it's good, then the same applies to you. (btw you can ask this question whilst posting your essay too :) ). The best person here to PM Lauren. Warning: she is extremely busy and is probs preparing for the lectures at the moment. You are likely to only be getting general feedback. Otherwise, feel free to PM me the essay (be mindful that I am only another year 12 student).