Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:04:07 am

Author Topic: english language marking  (Read 1676 times)  Share 

dunnja

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
english language marking
« on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:18 pm »
i'm convinced my teacher is dogging me hard core with how hes marking, ie marking me down for things people have told me he cant mark down for in English language. i'm curious as to if there is somewhere on vcaa or somewhere else which lays out the rules and procedures of how English language SACs are allowed to marked. kind of like a marking scheme but also tells what teachers are able to consider when marking, spelling and punctuation for example.
if any one knows or can send me a link it would be greatly appreciated!!

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
Re: english language marking
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:04:20 pm »
+2
i'm convinced my teacher is dogging me hard core with how hes marking, ie marking me down for things people have told me he cant mark down for in English language. i'm curious as to if there is somewhere on vcaa or somewhere else which lays out the rules and procedures of how English language SACs are allowed to marked. kind of like a marking scheme but also tells what teachers are able to consider when marking, spelling and punctuation for example.
if any one knows or can send me a link it would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey Dunnja,

It’s unfortunate to hear that - perhaps you should consult another English language teacher (given your school has more than one eng-lang teacher) to cross mark, or you could see your Learning Area Leader for English to discuss the matter - If there is some sense of prejudice, then it’s crucial that you resolve the matter given it’s significance on ranking and whatnot. If you feel uncomfortable to pursue those options, perhaps just send the assessment on these forums and an AN user would be more than happy to provide criticisms which either support or negate the teacher’s views.

Anyhow, the following is a link which outlines how the Eng-lang exam is marked, and so I assume teachers would go off this rubric to mark their own assessments. In terms of spelling and punctuation, I could see how he could deduct marks due to the ‘assured use of written discourse’, but I couldn’t see this being a significant detriment to ones mark (e.g. 1or 2 marks out of 15). That being said, an abundance of these errors and/or written expression errors could lead to more marks being deducted:

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/englishlanguage/eng-lang-criteria.pdf

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024