Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 23, 2024, 12:38:19 pm

Author Topic: Study tips for 2018 Year 10 entry for MHS  (Read 3979 times)  Share 

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
Study tips for 2018 Year 10 entry for MHS
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:33:50 pm »
Hi,
I was just wondering whether there were any books you could recommended for the year 10 selective entry test*. For instance something for verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning etc. Would it be a good idea to get tutoring for the exam? Also; any people who have tried for MHS (or other school) in year 10, just wondering if you could give any advice.

*It seems all the material is for NSW selective entry!
Hugo  :)

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Study tips for 2018 Year 10 entry for MHS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:10:02 pm »
http://www.majortests.com/word-lists/ Remember these lists. I only remembered half of the 1st one and it helped tremendously during writing. By memorizing, I mean learn to put it into a sentence as well.
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

jz27

• Trendsetter

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

jz27

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:29 am »
+1

Juves

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »
+5
Hi there! Firstly, it's great that you are taking the initiative to prepare for next year's entrance test into MHS. I'd say that sort of eagerness will get you far. Although I don't have much to offer in terms of resources or links, I'd say you should develop your extracurricular involvement too. MHS entry in year 10 is through 1) entrance test results 2) interview. unless they've changed it then idk

The interview is essentially the difference that sets you apart from all other applicants. It is important to show MHS teachers and selection committee that you are a well rounded and engaged member in your community. Many students who get into MHS in year 10 often are exceptional at sport (eg. State or National level sporting achievements). Also if you can do some volunteering, it'll be super beneficial as community outreach is at the forefront of Melbourne High students in year 10.

If you have anymore questions on entrance exams to MHS, pm me and I'll get back to you.

Good luck with your endeavours  :)

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 04:20:15 pm »
Hi there! Firstly, it's great that you are taking the initiative to prepare for next year's entrance test into MHS. I'd say that sort of eagerness will get you far. Although I don't have much to offer in terms of resources or links, I'd say you should develop your extracurricular involvement too. MHS entry in year 10 is through 1) entrance test results 2) interview. unless they've changed it then idk

The interview is essentially the difference that sets you apart from all other applicants. It is important to show MHS teachers and selection committee that you are a well rounded and engaged member in your community. Many students who get into MHS in year 10 often are exceptional at sport (eg. State or National level sporting achievements). Also if you can do some volunteering, it'll be super beneficial as community outreach is at the forefront of Melbourne High students in year 10.

If you have anymore questions on entrance exams to MHS, pm me and I'll get back to you.

Good luck with your endeavours  :)

Thanks so much

William1103

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 01:54:45 pm »
+2
Definitely do LOTS of practice papers or questions. Get more comfortable with them and try to manage your time as efficiently as possible. It's tough in the beginning, but as you do more and more, it will get easier and you will inevitably improve :)

Practice the multiple choice tests without any time limit at first, try to understand the questions. You will notice that there are common types of questions for example, in verbal reasoning, there are usually questions like 'no acorns are octopi, some octopi are unicorns, all unicorns are eels, which of the following is true?' For this, you would do something like draw venn diagrams and although it was hard at first for me, it became easier and saved me more time because I did so much of these questions. If you need to guess, correct me if I'm wrong, but it was statistically proven that guessing one letter (C,C,C) rather than random letters (A,D,B) will improve your chances of getting the questions correct. Only do that IF you have no idea what the answer is and purely need to guess. Otherwise, the process of elimination is very useful.

As for the writing tests, I guess the best way to improve is by writing a lot. Post it here on the ATARNotes forums and maybe the others or myself will try to help out. You should aim to complete it in 15 minutes or less but go overboard a bit if you have to, because you will eventually improve. For the analytical essays, the structure should usually be an introduction, three body paragraphs (one rebuttal) and a conclusion. Try to be clear and straight to the point. For creative pieces, make sure you use all the senses (sight, touch, hearing, taste, smell).

Tutors are not necessary if you can put in the effort yourself. Yes, they can provide you with more resources and advice, but I think you can get that or something similar from ATARNotes!

Melbourne High wants 'more than just marks'. Try to participate in lots of extra curricular activities (like debating, leadership and such). It's what they're looking for in students and will help you stand out during the selection process.
In terms of the resources, I mainly did practice papers (from Spectrum Tuition) but also online as well. I can't remember the websites I used but you could have a look at this one: https://www.indiabix.com/

Best of luck in your endeavours and remember that it's definitely possible to get in, but only if you want to put in the time and hard work!
2018: Business Management [44]

2019: English | Methods | Further | Chemistry | HHD