Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 08:19:52 pm

Author Topic: ATAR calculators  (Read 1461 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
ATAR calculators
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:22:18 am »
When putting marks into ATAR calculators, which should I go off???

a) my overall internal average mark
b) my trial marks
c) my estimated moderated marks from overall internal average mark, corresponding from rawmarks.info
d) my estimated moderated marks from my trial marks, corresponding from rawmarks.info

Hopefully this made sense
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: ATAR calculators
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:35:08 am »
When putting marks into ATAR calculators, which should I go off???

a) my overall internal average mark
b) my trial marks
c) my estimated moderated marks from overall internal average mark, corresponding from rawmarks.info
d) my estimated moderated marks from my trial marks, corresponding from rawmarks.info

Hopefully this made sense
The best way to do it is to figure out how many band 6's your school got in the subjects you do over the past 3 years averaged out.

Then figure out your ranks for the overall cource and figure out where you sit in relation to your schools previous year performances

Eg

Lets say your school got 3 band 6's in Legal studies last year and you are ranked ranked 3rd this year , your best bet would be to put in 90 for legal into the calclulator

if your ranked 1 in English and your school had 10 band 6's last year , then your safe to assume that your HSC mark would be close to 94 and therfore put that into the calculator.

This is the best way to do it as your school could mark easy/ hard compared to the HSC and therfore your trial marks could not be the best reflection of how you will actually go

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:24 am »
The best way to do it is to figure out how many band 6's your school got in the subjects you do over the past 3 years averaged out.

Then figure out your ranks for the overall cource and figure out where you sit in relation to your schools previous year performances

Eg

Lets say your school got 3 band 6's in Legal studies last year and you are ranked ranked 3rd this year , your best bet would be to put in 90 for legal into the calclulator

if your ranked 1 in English and your school had 10 band 6's last year , then your safe to assume that your HSC mark would be close to 94 and therfore put that into the calculator.

This is the best way to do it as your school could mark easy/ hard compared to the HSC and therfore your trial marks could not be the best reflection of how you will actually go

What would you (and others too) reckon then i should put in the calculators for the following subjects

1/25 in legal with 1 band 6 in 2016, 0 in 2015 and 2014

1/31 in PDHPE with 1 band 6 in 2016, 2 band 6s in 2015 and 0 in 2014

2/3 English ext 1, 0 band 6s in 2016 and 2015, 1 band 6 in 2014

2/3 English ext 2, 0 band 6s past 3 years
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:11:55 am by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:02:16 am »
What would you (and others too) reckon then i should put in the calculators for the following subjects

2/3 English ext 1, 0 band 6s past 3 years

Put in your Trial marks and add like, I don't know, 15%? Sounds like you will be the strongest (or close to strongest) performer so your previous exam performance is probably going to be the best indicator (and the percentage is to account for improvement and alignment) - But remember these calculators are just guessing! Don't give them too much of your time ;D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 10:11:34 am »
Put in your Trial marks and add like, I don't know, 15%? Sounds like you will be the strongest (or close to strongest) performer so your previous exam performance is probably going to be the best indicator (and the percentage is to account for improvement and alignment) - But remember these calculators are just guessing! Don't give them too much of your time ;D

Great, thank you!
HSC subjects

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:30:10 pm »
+1

2/3 English ext 2, 0 band 6s past 3 years

For Legal and PDH i would put your score somewhere in the low 90's eg 90-92

I dont do ext english so can't help you there

Hope that helps