Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 01:08:58 pm

Author Topic: STUDY HELP  (Read 1332 times)

jasmineerrose

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
STUDY HELP
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:56:26 pm »
+1
Whoever may be reading this....
I am in need of help, i am struggling when it comes to studying, especially towards my HSC. I am struggling to remember the content i am learning, especially since i am doing content heavy subjects and i dont know what to do in terms of smart study.

If it helps, ill list my subjects....
- PDHPE
- English Standard
- Senior Science
- CAFS
- General Math

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: STUDY HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:06:39 pm »
+6
I am in need of help, i am struggling when it comes to studying, especially towards my HSC. I am struggling to remember the content i am learning, especially since i am doing content heavy subjects and i dont know what to do in terms of smart study.

- PDHPE
- English Standard
- Senior Science
- CAFS
- General Math
Hey there!
I would suggest trying different study techniques- flash cards (electronic or hard copy), study notes, timelines, mind maps, recording yourself reciting content. It really depends on your preferred study technique (audio, visual, kinaesthetic, rote learn). Another thing I would suggest is study groups- sending out a message to your classmates so you can discuss and test each other on content can really help because you can help them with what you know, vice versa; plus, if you're able to teach another person, that's a good indication that you know your content.

These are just a few different studying techniques I could think of at the moment, but like I said, it really depends on your preferred study technique.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
+6
Hey there! I did English Standard for my HSC.

Essentially, best way to study for english is to make essay plans. This way you're exposing yourself to as many questions as possible and learning your quotes and your ideas without the hassle of writing full essays. HOWEVER, you do need to actually handwrite essays and submit them to your teacher for feedback. Though, if you don't have enough time and want to study alot in (let's say) one hour- essay plans are my go to study tip for English standard. As for Paper One, you need to learn how to adapt your creative to as many stimuli as much as possible. Again this comes down to practice. As for the unseen texts, you just need to practice all of them, learning how to detect techniques and applying them back to the Discovery syllabus.

I didn't do General Maths but I do believe the way you study for it is similar to adv. maths. Basically maths is just all about doing every practice paper out there! But make sure you spend most of your time on your weak areas. Your study for maths needs to be consistent. Every day (if possible) or every one to two days, you need to be doing maths questions. This is a subject that assesses your skills and you cannot study for maths at the last minute.

I didn't do your other subjects I'm afraid, but there will be definitely someone somewhere here on the site who's done it/is doing it :)

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14:13 pm »
+2

- PDHPE
- English Standard
- Senior Science
- CAFS
- General Math

Hi...
Just to add, I did PDHPE last year, and found making acronyms from the areas of the syllabus pretty helpful! If CAFS is a similar subject, in terms of how the content is structured, perhaps acronyms could work for it as well?
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

fatima_t

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:06 pm »

- PDHPE
- English Standard
- Senior Science
- CAFS
- General Math
hey there, I used to have the same problem as you of doing content heavy subjects, as a rule of thumb, to memorise something it takes 8 times to write it out, since we obviously cant write 5 syllabus's out, I try and revise different ways. These include: watching YouTube videos about the content, going through past papers and answering questions that link to the syllabus, write out specific key information that you can't memorise (for me it's parabolas in math) and revise each day, also keep a good set of notes per subject and every day skim over it

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:00:52 pm »
+2
Hey! I do content hey subjects like you. I do Drama, Visual Arts, Modern History, Ancient History, Standard English and SOR I. So here are my tips:
- Do essay plans under timed conditions for english and PE
- I don't do maths but I would suggest heaps of prac exams, maybe even a formula book so when you don't understand something you don't have to flick through a whole textbook
- For english I would just say practice, practice, practice (what I do is I memorise my analysed techniques from my texts and link them to specific points in the syllabus so I have something ready for any question)
- Finally, practice essays and past exam papers are the absolute key! They show you how much knowledge you have retained, how well you understand it, and challenge you to view the knowledge from different angles. Therefore, in an exam, you will be better prepared because you will have a more well-rounded view of your subjects! Also, remember to send your practice paper response in to your teachers! They will provide you with valuable feedback so you can continually improve.

Hope this helps!  :D
2018 HSC