Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 09:05:36 pm

Poll

Should I drop physics?

Yes
2 (66.7%)
No
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Should I drop physics?  (Read 649 times)  Share 

Donut

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Should I drop physics?
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:24:01 pm »
I am currently in physics 1&2 and I'm doing alright besides the fact that my teacher is not very good at teaching. Considering that he is one of the only 3/4 teachers, should I drop physics?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: Should I drop physics?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:16 pm »
I am currently in physics 1&2 and I'm doing alright besides the fact that my teacher is not very good at teaching. Considering that he is one of the only 3/4 teachers, should I drop physics?

dropping a subject over one teacher?

don't do it!

if you enjoy your subject stick with it

There are a vast amount of resources available online, especially on AN. (Notes Tab) This will help you succeed!

If you have concerns with the teacher maybe you can request another teacher for Physics 3/4

Good Luck

:)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:53:36 pm »
Hey there Donut (great username haha)!

There are definitely a few things to take into consideration here. While it would be fantastic if we always got the most passionate amazing teachers, that is not always the case. When you say he's not that good at teaching, is it that his style doesn't suit your learning? Or you have difficulty understanding the way he teaches? Do other students have the same issue? If so, I'd highly encourage you to go along with a classmate and speak to him and respectfully articulate your concerns, seeing as he is likely to be teaching you next year too, or speak to another teacher to speak to him on your behalf. It definitely is possible to do well in a subject without the best of teachers, although in Year 12 it is highly risky but we don't get the choice of who we have, but since you say you are faring well, and you're confident in it and if you enjoy physics, you will put in the effort and time into it, because you want to do well and have more motivation when you enjoy a subject. If you have other forms of support eg: other physics teachers (though you say he's one of the only ones), or a tutor, it is definitely possible to still succeed. Would physics be a prereq for any courses you’re interested in pursuing? Keep in mind what the entry requirements are before dropping a subject (although always remember there are lots of ways to get to your desired career).

If you do drop it, what are your alternative subject ideas? I would suggest to make a pros and cons list of dropping/not dropping it because there are obviously more factors you need to take into consideration which we may not be aware of. Since you seem to be doing pretty well so far, I’d suggest to stick it out for the rest of the year and see how it goes, things can change, and as I said, articulating your concerns is often very helpful, sometimes teachers aren’t even aware of how we feel, and all it takes is talking to them to see change. Think about why you picked physics to start with.

Just one more thing I told another person debating over physics, chem and IPT, don’t choose subjects ‘for the sake of your atar’, because no matter how good scaling can appeal to everyone, I’ll put it bluntly, if you don’t do well, or your cohort sucks, scaling is not going to save you, BUT if you relatively enjoy it and are capable and confident then don’t drop it so hastily, because being good at a subject and enjoying learning about the content will push you to do well by itself.

I can't tell you whether you should or shouldn't continue it, that is your own decision, but I am more than happy to provide guidance, so don’t hesitate to let me know if you need help with anything!!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:55:55 pm »

What would be your reasoning behind dropping it?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.