Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 15, 2024, 03:12:04 am

Author Topic: oxidation numbers question?  (Read 498 times)  Share 

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
oxidation numbers question?
« on: March 04, 2020, 07:09:28 pm »
Hi there! Referring to the equation shown in the image, I have to find the oxidation number of nitrogen before the reaction, which is +5 which I understand, however after the reaction is +4 and I don't understand why it's that.. could someone explain? thanks :-)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: oxidation numbers question?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:19:20 pm »
+4
Hi there! Referring to the equation shown in the image, I have to find the oxidation number of nitrogen before the reaction, which is +5 which I understand, however after the reaction is +4 and I don't understand why it's that.. could someone explain? thanks :-)
Hello.
So, I would use the 2NO2(g) as that looks the simplest and easiest to find the oxidation number of N. The oxidation number of Oxygen is -2 and there are 4 oxygens here. So, 2N+4O=0. Substitute the O=-2. 2N-8=0. 2N=8. Thus, N=+4.

In this case, where N is present in both compounds produced, I would use the compound that is the simplest and the one where there is sufficient information to find the value of the N.

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
Re: oxidation numbers question?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 07:29:55 pm »
+2
Hello.
So, I would use the 2NO2(g) as that looks the simplest and easiest to find the oxidation number of N. The oxidation number of Oxygen is -2 and there are 4 oxygens here. So, 2N+4O=0. Substitute the O=-2. 2N-8=0. 2N=8. Thus, N=+4.

In this case, where N is present in both compounds produced, I would use the compound that is the simplest and the one where there is sufficient information to find the value of the N.

I’ve actually been ignoring 2NO2 the whole time, it is much simpler and I get it now, thank you!! 😁