Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 11:12:20 am

Author Topic: Urgent: The difference between art and studio art?!  (Read 14543 times)  Share 

jane1234

Urgent: The difference between art and studio art?!
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:15:35 pm »
I completed Studio Art 1/2 last year, but then dropped it at the last minute along with everyone else in the class. Now I want to pick it up again, but the only way I think my school would let me is if I did it by Distance Ed, but they only offer normal Art not Studio Art.

So I was just wondering what the main difference is. I've heard Art has more theory, which I'm not particularly fussed about, but what about the folio? Is it the same as SA (like Exploration Proposal, design process, 4 main ideas)? Or is it less structured in art?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: Urgent: The difference between art and studio art?!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:22:03 pm »
Both have theoretical and practical components, however studio art has a higher percentage of practical components and art is more theoretical. I haven't done either, so I can't really comment any further unfortunately :)

hollowedcrowns

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:31:02 am »
Art is 50% prac and 50% theory.. Studio Arts is only 30% theory I believe.
Art is also scaled down less than studio.

I'm doing art this year. :)

hollowedcrowns

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:36:45 am »
Oh an art is more free I think, you could start off with one idea and end up with something completely different and it would be fine. Adds less stress if you decide to change your mind along the track. Also unlike in studio, you don't really need a design proposal or work plan as far as I know. You mainly go by your theme, research/inspiration, trials, then final presentations followed by written frameworks/evaluations which are included in your folio.

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »
Basically everything said here is spot on.
Art is more theory based with a lot more based on art history and how it has changed through the ages.
Studio is more practical based like you are in a 'studio' and making a folio based on one main theme with parts of theory used such as artistic techniques.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

jane1234

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:11:00 pm »
Hmmm... I think I might go for it then. I didn't really like the whole "you must do all these trials and exploration before you can even think about your final" thing in Studio... so I guess a less-structured folio would suit me fine :D
Now to go back to the subject-change person AGAIN... has anyone done, or knows of anyone that has done, a subject by Distance Ed?? What's it like??

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »
Hmmm... I think I might go for it then. I didn't really like the whole "you must do all these trials and exploration before you can even think about your final" thing in Studio... so I guess a less-structured folio would suit me fine :D
Now to go back to the subject-change person AGAIN... has anyone done, or knows of anyone that has done, a subject by Distance Ed?? What's it like??

This has been asked before in a different part of the forums - considering this is 'Art' you will probably not get too many responses here ha ha.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Predator

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:05 pm »
This might help you out with all your Distance Education questions:

http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

EDIT: Okay that link did not work as I had hoped. Though just search 'Distance Education' and you will find out lots of answers. If you do not find what you needed just post a question into what you think seems the most appropriate existing thread.
ATAR 2010: 84.70

Physical Education: 40
Further Maths: 38
Economics: 36
Design & Technology: 35
English: 34
Visual Communication and Design: 34

jane1234

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:04 pm »
Okay thanks guys... one last question... you can do photography exclusively for your folio yeah?? Even though it is art not studio art?

hollowedcrowns

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:15:37 pm »
Yes you can do pretty much anything; though this year you need to complete -at least- 2 (I think) works so... not sure if that counts as one or two.