Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 07:09:18 am

Author Topic: How exactly do you write an essay for this subject / some other questions  (Read 1860 times)  Share 

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
I have an upcoming take-home SAC in which I have to write a 1500 word essay about two non-state actors that I'm researching (Catholic Church & Al-Qaeda). My teacher claims, at least for this SAC, the flow of the essay isn't as important, and that the core of it is just an 'informed discussion' with 'accurate details and knowledge'. Essentially my informed discussion entails the role my selected non-state actors play around the globe.

I have several questions regarding this:

1. I know how to include a specific example, but where do I go from there? Am I supposed to say, that this demonstrates the extent of their power etc. And how in-depth would that aspect of it be? In my previous SAC I had to basically write two mini essays (one on TNC Shell and the other on the UN)  (which I haven't received back yet) and all I did was throw in some specific examples, and for each one, explain in a sentence or two how that particular example demonstrates a flaw in the structure/procedures or how it challenges sovereignty (is that what I should be doing?)
2. To what extent am I allowed to pass judgment? I've read on this forum that you're supposed to say something is "successful" or "relatively successful" when evaluating the role of something, but I've also been told by very previously successful students in this subject to compose my essays in a cold, cynical manner, that does not pass any judgement.
3. How important is the expression/structure aspect of the essay? In fact, how exactly are you supposed to structure it - what goes in the intro/conclusion?
4. Is it true that the students who receive late 40s or 50s in this subject choose one of the latter 2 topics in the essay? Everyone tells me the essay is made to discriminate the students, but I've also been told that it's best to choose one of the last two topics (which tend to be Unit 4 related, I think?) because they are more challenging and people don't tend to attempt them?
5. And anything else you'd like to add in regarding to approaching anything in this subject.... :) ?

Thanks in advance! :)
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

TomPosa

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Tutor, Global Politics at Activate Education
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
+3
Ok, so I'll try and go through each question individually.

1/2/3. The essay seems to give students a lot of trouble each year. I'll answer your 2nd and 3rd questions first as they are easier.

The essay is not a descriptive essay. It is about expressing your point of view on the topic - and then arguing why your point of view is correct. So you should pass judgement indeed. At every point in the essay, you should be thinking about how each sentence contributes to your analysis. Imagine the essay to be like a longer version of an 8-mark "evaluate" question.

Structure and expression are only important in that they should make the essay readable. You won't gain or lose marks for it theoretically, but if it's filled with grammatical mistakes and poor vocab then the examiner's view of the whole essay will likely change. Your intro should begin by introducing the topic and also the thing you want to talk about - so a brief introduction to the UN, or states, or whatever it may be for AOS1. Then you want to express your point of view on the topic and introduce your paragraph sub-topics - like an English essay. Conclusion is not as important, but basically you want to restate your point and sum up your most important reasons for the point of view that you are arguing for throughout the essay. The examiner's report (http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/politics/intstudies_assessrep_11.pdf) contains examples of introductions and advice on the essay.

So on question 1, the essay section of the exam/SAC is as I said above, about arguing your point of view. You want to include both analysis and detailed examples and evidence. You also want to look at the "other side" - opposing arguments - and then think about why your point of view is superior. The actual essay-writing bit is quite similar to English I guess. If we take the topic given for AOS 1 in last year's exam:
"'States hold considerably more power and influence than non-state actors'. Discuss", you might choose to agree/disagree/partially agree with the topic. Each paragraph would look at maybe one type of power and how states/NSAs hold it, or you could spend a paragraph on states, one on UN, one on TNCs etc. I'm sorry I can't be more specific here, if you have an essay you have written then I can look at it and tell you if you're on the right track.

4. This has some truth in it but you should use the topic you're most familiar and comfortable with. People tend to not do AOS1 in the exam as there are so many possible topics and also the AOS is quite broad. Personally, I chose to do AOS4 because the Unit 4 topics are "issues" rather than being descriptive topics, which makes them more suited towards analysis in an essay. Also, Unit 4 will be more fresh in your memory and the topics are much easier to predict. In fact, I got the exact topic in the exam that I had done a practice essay for! But ultimately it comes down to choice and you can do well no matter which topic you choose.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or want me to take a look at your essay.
2011: Latin (34) Geography (44)

2012: English (46) Global Politics (46) French (45) Economics (42) Methods (40) with ATAR of 99.75 & Vice Captain of Melbourne High School

2013: Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Oxford

Available for skype tutoring of Global Politics, English, and French. For more information, go to activateedu.com

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Ok, so I'll try and go through each question individually.

1/2/3. The essay seems to give students a lot of trouble each year. I'll answer your 2nd and 3rd questions first as they are easier.

The essay is not a descriptive essay. It is about expressing your point of view on the topic - and then arguing why your point of view is correct. So you should pass judgement indeed. At every point in the essay, you should be thinking about how each sentence contributes to your analysis. Imagine the essay to be like a longer version of an 8-mark "evaluate" question.

Structure and expression are only important in that they should make the essay readable. You won't gain or lose marks for it theoretically, but if it's filled with grammatical mistakes and poor vocab then the examiner's view of the whole essay will likely change. Your intro should begin by introducing the topic and also the thing you want to talk about - so a brief introduction to the UN, or states, or whatever it may be for AOS1. Then you want to express your point of view on the topic and introduce your paragraph sub-topics - like an English essay. Conclusion is not as important, but basically you want to restate your point and sum up your most important reasons for the point of view that you are arguing for throughout the essay. The examiner's report (http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/politics/intstudies_assessrep_11.pdf) contains examples of introductions and advice on the essay.

So on question 1, the essay section of the exam/SAC is as I said above, about arguing your point of view. You want to include both analysis and detailed examples and evidence. You also want to look at the "other side" - opposing arguments - and then think about why your point of view is superior. The actual essay-writing bit is quite similar to English I guess. If we take the topic given for AOS 1 in last year's exam:
"'States hold considerably more power and influence than non-state actors'. Discuss", you might choose to agree/disagree/partially agree with the topic. Each paragraph would look at maybe one type of power and how states/NSAs hold it, or you could spend a paragraph on states, one on UN, one on TNCs etc. I'm sorry I can't be more specific here, if you have an essay you have written then I can look at it and tell you if you're on the right track.

4. This has some truth in it but you should use the topic you're most familiar and comfortable with. People tend to not do AOS1 in the exam as there are so many possible topics and also the AOS is quite broad. Personally, I chose to do AOS4 because the Unit 4 topics are "issues" rather than being descriptive topics, which makes them more suited towards analysis in an essay. Also, Unit 4 will be more fresh in your memory and the topics are much easier to predict. In fact, I got the exact topic in the exam that I had done a practice essay for! But ultimately it comes down to choice and you can do well no matter which topic you choose.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions or want me to take a look at your essay.

Thanks a bunch! :) I'll probably PM you in the future about that essay. :P
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
This is more or less what I did (and with this essay question in the exam) - form a contention, which is established in your introduction and then in your body paragraphs look at individual case studies, belonging to broader ideas, in order to evaluate and support/prove/consolidate your point of view to whatever extent. There's probably less of a focus on building upon your ideas as you go, like you might in an English essays, but your progression should still be logical. Then, once you get to the conclusion discuss your contention again and just form a sort of thesis on how each of your ideas contribute to your that contention.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)