Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 12:43:25 pm

Author Topic: Gaining weight  (Read 6706 times)  Share 

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: Gaining weight
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

Actually spend a week counting your calories eaten and burnt. See how much weight you gain/lose. If you stay steady, eat 500 calories more each day, primarily from protein whilst doing weights exercises. Running won't help you gain weight at all.
Most people that say they can't gain weight don't count their calories, so their results tend to make a lot more sense when they count.

Your base metabolic rate defs wont be 3300, that's what someone that is extremely physically active or extremely heavy (or a combination) would burn.

Foods for high protein include fatty fish, chicken (keep the fat), and caloric dense foods (pasta, pizza, breads, rice, potatoes, fruit juices).
Just make sure you exceed your calorie output everyday and you'll gain weight generally.

Having a fast metabolism is very annoying if you want to get big/gain weight, but it can definitely be done. A lot of people think they eat a lot because they pig out on Pizza on the weekend or something like that, but in reality they simply don't eat enough.

KFC would be fine if it wasn't so high in saturated fats. Enwiabe managed to lose weight whilst eating it multiple times a week (ketogenic diet, KFC is very low carb). Their grilled chicken options are by far one of the best meals on the fast food market for people who hit the gym.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:54 pm »
Once your older your metabolism will slow down ;)
2013: BSc at UoM

synchronise3

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
That's good to know  ;D
Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws

abd123

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:25 pm »
+1
That's good to know  ;D
Please be careful with your bulk, a few guys might underestimate their caloric expenditure, and some might go over board to dirty bulking.
This will make them prone to gaining more fat. Yeah, Kenoy is right about once you get older your metabolism will
significantly slow down when most guys are around 21 or more.

Lean dry muscle mass can be putted between 5kg-8kg in a year, depending on your genetics. Its best to go on a clean/slow bulk (like i am now),
fat, glycogen, and water gains will occur very minimal through that phase. I got a mate that plays footy he putted on 3kg of pure muscle mass in 7 months
and his bodyfat percentage has shrunk by two percent (from 14% to 12%), a few people might be lucky enough to run away from fat gains. Guys, that are
around our age can lean out from their clean bulking phase, so theirs something great to look on to do a 'clean bulk' as oppose to doing a 'dirty bulk':).

eatoats

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 06:43:11 pm »
+4
Eat more oats

nisha

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hum Honge Kamyab.
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »
Eat plenty or carbs.
Melbourne University-Science-Second year

Am taking in students for CHEMISTRY and MATHS METHODS tuition for 2014 as well as first year chemistry. If interested, pm me. Flexible with location.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught [/i]

oliverk94

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »
Man, I'm having the same problem as you except that I'm way shorter then you.. this year I'm just gonna eat healthy food (fruits, vegetables, chicken, steak, tuna, salmon.etc) like an animal and then gonna start to bulking up and gaining muscle straight after Year 12 finishes.. chicken and tuna ftw brah! Good luck.

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »
Man, I'm having the same problem as you except that I'm way shorter then you.. this year I'm just gonna eat healthy food (fruits, vegetables, chicken, steak, tuna, salmon.etc) like an animal and then gonna start to bulking up and gaining muscle straight after Year 12 finishes.. chicken and tuna ftw brah! Good luck.
Don't forget lots of complex carbs!
2013: BSc at UoM

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 11:29:55 pm »
+1
You could always go and live with my Nonna for a few weeks...

Actually no, one christmas lunch will do the trick
I think it was 5 courses, each the size of a whole meal...

I'm still full..
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU