Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 09:22:59 am

Author Topic: More integrated Search Bar  (Read 1854 times)  Share 

Peanuts11

More integrated Search Bar
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »
There are a lot of repeated threads on the forum. Along the likes of 'predict my ss' and 'what does it take to get 40 in' and 'how many exams', the list goes on.

I think if you look at: pagingdr.net the system where they encourage users to search before posting and a smoother interface for this would suit the site very very well.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: More integrated Search Bar
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:30:19 pm »
+1
The mods/admins encourage this too, it's just that people keep doing it (just look at how many "illegal" thread have been locked in the public recycling bin to get a small idea of what I mean...)

Peanuts11

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »
The mods/admins encourage this too, it's just that people keep doing it (just look at how many "illegal" thread have been locked in the public recycling bin to get a small idea of what I mean...)

I realise, but the search bar is generally laggy and is tucked away in the top right hand corner of the page. Why not change it to something prevalent in the middle with large emphasis on it like PD? It's just so effective on PD...

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:47 pm »
+2
Google is quite effective when searching AN - just add "inurl:atarnotes.com" or "site:atarnotes.com" to your search query (and then you can also refine your search better with all of Google's other search operators). The 'google' option on the AN search does that automatically (add on "site:atarnotes.com" at the end)

I tend to use that more than the AN built in search, although Google isn't as good with filtering the search queries with the forum-specific stuff (usernames, by board etc.), naturally the built in search on AN is better for that.

The policy on repeated questions that they had on that link you posted seems to be a bit strict, I think there is quite a bit of merit to repeated topics - you get different opinions and the discussion might turn in a way that it hadn't before. They aren't really the type of threads that you're talking about (if you look at the maths board for example, it's not surprising to search one of the questions and find that it has been asked a few times in the past few years).

The type of threads you mentioned, I was under the impression that was what this board was created for: Technical Score Discussion. Those types of threads could also be reduced by having a general, stickied thread that explain how scaling works, how study scores are calculated etc. I'm pretty sure this idea was suggested somewhere a few months back - and I reckon that a guide like that would be a lot more effective in reducing the problem than merely moving the search bar ~250 pixels down and whatever pixels left.

Not all users are too bad with the search function either, seeing that a lot of old threads get bumped often by new users.

edit: fixed typos, sentence flow
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:00:59 pm by laseredd »

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:02:35 pm »
I think if you look at: pagingdr.net the system where they encourage users to search before posting and a smoother interface for this would suit the site very very well.

lol

Peanuts11

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:03:17 pm »

lol

(Image removed from quote.)

It's made me search a lot fwiw/