Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:52:14 pm

Author Topic: When an essay prompt includes a quote  (Read 1914 times)  Share 

excelsiorxlcr

When an essay prompt includes a quote
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:51 pm »
Please help me, I have an essay tomorrow:

When an essay prompt includes a quote, do you have to include this quote in your essay, and use the quote's scene as an example for one of your body paragraphs? Would you include the quote in your intro? Conclusion? Or just in one of your arguments?

And would you lose marks for not actually using the quote in your essay?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:31:34 pm by excelsiorxlcr »

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: When an essay prompt includes a quote
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:41:49 am »
+1
English is marked globally, so it's not as simple as losing set numbers of marks for specific set things. That being said, it's still wise to reference a prompt quotation in your essay.

Usually the quotation is meant to inform or alter the meaning of the question/prompt a little, so it makes sense to use or refer to it in your introduction (in a sophisticated way - never something lame like "The quotation refers to..." or similar). You may then like to use it in one of your BPs, but I don't think that's always necessary. Take it case by case.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!