Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 10:40:33 am

Author Topic: TI-89 Titanium question  (Read 688 times)  Share 

noah the lettuce

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
TI-89 Titanium question
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »
Not sure if a setting on my calculator or if I'm entering it wrong but every time I try to solve a certain line on my calculator... e.g
Define p(x)=3x^3+kx^2+bx-5
Done
Solve(p(1)=0 and p(-2)=-45,{b,k})
False
(Straight from the text book example)

...I keep getting false, I've tried it with other equations and get the same thing. It's fine when I'm solving a function but when it comes to this remainder theorem I keep getting false. 
Could anyone help me out? Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Re: TI-89 Titanium question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:06:54 pm »
+1
Not sure if a setting on my calculator or if I'm entering it wrong but every time I try to solve a certain line on my calculator... e.g
Define p(x)=3x^3+kx^2+bx-5
Done
Solve(p(1)=0 and p(-2)=-45,{b,k})
False
(Straight from the text book example)

...I keep getting false, I've tried it with other equations and get the same thing. It's fine when I'm solving a function but when it comes to this remainder theorem I keep getting false. 
Could anyone help me out? Maybe I'm doing it wrong...
I don't have a TI-89 but have you made sure that you have a multiplication sign in between the 'k' and 'x' plus the 'b' and 'x'? If you haven't then that might be your answer (since the calculator is treating it as one pronumeral rather than two).

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »
Did you put a times between 'k' and 'x^2' as well as between 'b' and 'x'? If not then it'll come out false as it'll treat 'bx' as a single variable rather than as the product of two variables.

EDIT: Beaten, also don't have a TI-89.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

noah the lettuce

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:02 pm »
I don't have a TI-89 but have you made sure that you have a multiplication sign in between the 'k' and 'x' plus the 'b' and 'x'? If you haven't then that might be your answer (since the calculator is treating it as one pronumeral rather than two).
Did you put a times between 'k' and 'x^2' as well as between 'b' and 'x'? If not then it'll come out false as it'll treat 'bx' as a single variable rather than as the product of two variables.

EDIT: Beaten, also don't have a TI-89.

Well there's my problem, didn't know I had to put the multiplication signs for those! Thanks heaps, I would have been sitting around for another year trying to figure it out