Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 11, 2024, 11:50:22 am

Author Topic: Don't know what to do  (Read 659 times)  Share 

Ronw2233

Don't know what to do
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »
I've posted this under the VTAC admissions board but I thought it is more appropriate here.

Hi all,

I currently have a place in B.Bus(Mkt)/B.Bus(Mgt), however I realised that I really don't like it. I originally only planned to do it because I thought marketing as a career was a good idea, but after some intensive research I don't think I'd like it as a career after all; was never and still am not interested in learning it either.

So I currently am considering having an intermission, then go to a course in semester 2, since it's too late for semester 1 now. If by that, will they only consider my VCE results and not my two weeks of Uni? My ATAR just passed the clearly-in for the courses I want to do by about 3 points really, will it be competitive enough to those who want to get into the same course as me but with, say, a 70+ GPA?

Or should I stay in my current course?

Thanks!  :)

TELL ME IF THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS TOO PLS!!

Ronw2233

Re: Don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »
I'll write here what I want to learn and what I want to do later on as a job if it helps with any suggestions :P

I am interested in sciences but I have no interest in pursuing a career in the science field at all. That's why I enrolled to my course, I can do science electives anyway (8 electives, which is plenty).

Career wise I am interested in environmental engineering (it is the only thing in the science field I'm interested in as a career, very passionate about learning it too) through an environments degree at melbourne since they don't have a methods prereq and the major starts 2nd year so I can do a methods equivalent through something during this time. Another career is nursing, which my parents are hesitant of me to do and I thought I had a postgrad option of doing it anyway even if I study an undergrad in another area and it would be fun to study things I like before making the final decision of whether to pursue nursing or a career in whichever area I studied in for undergrad.  And that's about it, environmental engineering or nursing!

What I want to learn:
-Chinese
-Linguistics
-Engineering
-Immunology
-Pharmacology (prefer the above more tho)
- and probably one elective in computer science

Course choices:
- Bachelor of Science (immunology and pharmacology) with a Diploma in Chinese
- Bachelor of Science (immunology) and Arts (Chinese and linguistics)
- Bachelor of Environments (environmental engineering) with a Diploma in Chinese
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:12:21 pm by serenaaa.s »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: Don't know what to do
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 02:36:37 am »
+2
I think it is a bit rash to decide you don't like the entire field based on 3 weeks (you will be at uni for 72+ weeks) of your very first four subjects (you will take 24 or more subjects). Each subject is basically self contained and may be drastically different from the others. That said, Uni is a great time to figure out what you really want and weed out those things, its a time to try and experiment in different academic areas.

If you really, really believe you'll hate it and it's not just first year nervousness, no use going down with a sinking ship, the obvious solution is to jump off.

They will only consider any subjects completed at university (i.e. taken the full way through), so, no, your four weeks will not count. We cant tell you whether it will be competitive or not ahead of time, much like enters, these things usually aren't decided in advance (unless they're internal transfers, often these have a hard number on them, especially for the less in demand degrees, i.e. not law). If you believe you can score well in your course and this will *positively* add along to your ATAR, do it. If you will be studying things you only hate, you are not likely to do too well. In this instance, i believe it will negatively impact you as part of an overall application. It really is up to you to decide these kinds of things though.

I recommend you take the double degree over all other options where practical (i would recommend anyone take a double degree where practical or useful. Just note it may be harder to get into. At monash the rule for transferring single degrees is you need something like ~60+ish (say from Ba -> Bsc). The rule for transferring into double degrees is ~70+.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research