Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 05:24:49 pm

Author Topic: If you suck at something, should you continue it?  (Read 6881 times)  Share 

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: If you suck at something, should you continue it?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 11:06:04 pm »
I did do the subject I wanted but the teacher was like "why do you want to do maths?" ahem because everything. Seriously though, I hate how my school becomes to involved in everyone's subject selection.  >:(

I'm guessing you might go to a "good" school? In some cases, there's a conflict of interest created when a student wants to take a subject they're not good at. The school wants to maintain their history of high study scores and solid ATAR results, because these affect the school's ranking. While a student might be happy with accepting a 25 or whatever for a subject they're not good at but are interested in, the school and teacher involved might not be. I'm not saying you're only gonna get 25, but I'm saying you might mess up their precious stats.

It's possible that the above isn't true in your case, and your teacher is just genuinely concerned for you and wants to help you make good choices. But it's worth keeping in mind that sometimes your teacher will have interests that conflict with yours.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

b00typizza

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Hogwarts
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:19 am »
I sucked at science from the start of my high school life but am now soon to be doing a university extension Biology subject with my VCE and then applying for Biomed
If you suck at something but you love it, it'll pay off eventually. If you suck and something and you hate it, you really need to think if the stress is worth it.
2015: Chemistry | Biology | Psychology | Literature |Monash Extension Biology

lolaishappy

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Art | English | Math Methods | Physics | Furthers
  • Respect: 0
  • School: BBC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 12:14:39 pm »
I'm guessing you might go to a "good" school? In some cases, there's a conflict of interest created when a student wants to take a subject they're not good at. The school wants to maintain their history of high study scores and solid ATAR results, because these affect the school's ranking. While a student might be happy with accepting a 25 or whatever for a subject they're not good at but are interested in, the school and teacher involved might not be. I'm not saying you're only gonna get 25, but I'm saying you might mess up their precious stats.

It's possible that the above isn't true in your case, and your teacher is just genuinely concerned for you and wants to help you make good choices. But it's worth keeping in mind that sometimes your teacher will have interests that conflict with yours.

My school's reputation has gone from terrible to classy in the past decade, so they want to set there grades higher. But your second point I think is more relevant only because it was my cootdinators intervening but my actual mrthods teacher was more nurturing
Newb coming through