Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 02:31:47 pm

Author Topic: scholarships and course preferences  (Read 713 times)  Share 

forchina

scholarships and course preferences
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:56 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have  received a scholarship offer (not a course offer) from Monash and am planning to either study engineering at Monash or science at Melbourne. I'm still tossing up between the two (location being a considerable factor as it will take me approx 2 hours each way to get to monash) . I have an atar score that guarantees me into both courses. Right now Melbourne science is at the top of my preferences. Does that mean I have to change my preferences to make monash at top to receive the scholarship. The letter says to respond by January 9th which is before first round offers so what happens if i accept the scholarship offer but monash is not the top.

juzza12

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: scholarships and course preferences
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have  received a scholarship offer (not a course offer) from Monash and am planning to either study engineering at Monash or science at Melbourne. I'm still tossing up between the two (location being a considerable factor as it will take me approx 2 hours each way to get to monash) . I have an atar score that guarantees me into both courses. Right now Melbourne science is at the top of my preferences. Does that mean I have to change my preferences to make monash at top to receive the scholarship. The letter says to respond by January 9th which is before first round offers so what happens if i accept the scholarship offer but monash is not the top.
What was your atar?! It depends how high of an atar you attained, Melbourne has some guaranteed entry pathways to masters programs that may be very useful!

sparked

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:09:28 pm »
Two hours each way... sounds like something you might resent after a while!
B. Bmed III UoM: Anatomy Major
ATAR: 99.55
English [50] - Studio Arts [49] - Biology [47]

https://sites.google.com/view/sparkedvce
^ $25p/h! Sparked VCE Biology Classes: Sat, Sun, Wed. 10 days left to sign up! (Includes full year notes!!!)

Achieve 50 in VCE English Headstart Lecture: https://goo.gl/forms/NPuCsLbh8dfKjMsb2

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:20:07 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'd imagine that accepting the scholarship is conditional on you preferencing the Monash course first.

2 hours travel time each way is fairly immense (I certainly couldn't deal with that, but each to their own!). Keep in mind though that there are residence halls at Clayton campus (some pretty nice ones too, and they're building even newer ones at the moment) so I suppose that may be an option for you. If the costs associated with this are too high, Monash does offer some accommodation scholarships: http://www.monash.edu.au/study/scholarships/accommodation/.

Also if you're unsure about procedure associated with scholarships then there should be some contact details on the offer letter/email you received.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School