Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 06, 2024, 12:26:29 pm

Author Topic: Stupid question  (Read 920 times)  Share 

veno

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Stupid question
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »
My teacher gave me this practise exam a few days ago as I was looking a little bored..
This seems like a very straight forward question, but I cant figure it out!

This is from the COMPAK 2007 supplement: Question 1

“Wesfarmers’ plans for a strong, revitalised Coles
Wesfarmers will spend more than one billion dollars annually on supply chain improvements and in store renovation if its takeover of Coles Group Ltd succeeds... Wesfarmers owns the do it yourself Bunning’s  hardware chain, numerous energy and resources interests, three general insurance firms, while also manufacturing and marketing chemicals and fertilisers – AAP, 8 July. 2007.
a.   Using the information provided above, outline two characteristics that identify Wesfamers as a large-scale organisation.

As I said this should be the easiest question in the paper, but the case study seems to elude the general characteristics we’ve been taught to look out for. What do you guys think the best  answer would be. :-[

nbalakers24

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:58 pm »
Assets - owns alot of buildings e.g Bunnings
Employees - Wesfarmers does have over few hundred employees woking.

ilhan91

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:54:07 pm »
The amount of assets=  More than $200 million as they will spend more than one billion dollars annually on supply chain improvements and in store renovation etc.

Multiple locations= Wesfarmers owns the do it yourself Bunning’s  hardware chain, numerous energy and resources interests, three general insurance firms, while also manufacturing and marketing chemicals and fertilisers

Hope it was useful  :)
English- 35
LOTE-40
Business Management-39
Further Mathematics- 32
Accounting- 26

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:05:03 pm »
Keep in mind that it says 'using the information above', so don't incorporate or assume anything about the companies, especially since they will be theoretical ones in the VCAA exam. From what they've given, you could mention their extent of operations, as well as assets and revenue. I'd probably do extent of operations and then one of either assets or revenue just to have a broader 'scope' of answers. I've previously had marks taken off for having answers too similar (e.g. having two financial KPIs when asked to list some), so you might as well take caution in this.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

veno

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 03:05:14 pm »
That was my problem shinny, if i mentioned "Wesfarmers does have over few hundred employees woking" then it wouldnt be using the above information. Thanks for your input guys