Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 10:51:47 am

Author Topic: Language Analysis  (Read 1590 times)  Share 

emilyb4398888

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Language Analysis
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:46:40 pm »
I REALLY struggle with Language Analysis. On the SAC I got a 17/20, but really need to improve on that for the exam. I am able to identify the Literary Devices but CANNOT work out what the intended effect on the reader is.

Does anyone have any tips?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Language Analysis
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:27:02 am »
I REALLY struggle with Language Analysis. On the SAC I got a 17/20, but really need to improve on that for the exam. I am able to identify the Literary Devices but CANNOT work out what the intended effect on the reader is.

Does anyone have any tips?
I was just about to ask 'but what are you struggling with??' but you've answered my question for me :)

So you can find the language features you need to talk about, but can't articulate the effect on the audience?

Well, if you've got the language, and you've got the contention, then you're just missing the middle piece of the puzzle:

1. Author says "X"
2. This makes readers think Y and/or feel Z
3. The fact that readers think Y and/or feel Z helps the author argue that... >contention!< because...

For example:

1. The author describes the internet as a "seedy" and "dangerous underworld," employing language that connotes unpleasantness and disrepute.
2. This encourages readers to regard the internet as a sordid place and to feel compelled to avoid its "danger[ s]."
3. Therefore, by engendering this antipathy towards the internet, the author seeks to drive the audience away from cyberspace and instead embrace the old-fashioned means of carving things on stone tablets.

So long as you know what language you're starting from, and what overall point the author is trying to make, you can usually connect the dots from there.

Of course, it's also possible that some of the techniques you're finding aren't having a very substantial effect on readers. For example, a lot of people comment on alliteration or assonance in the titles of pieces (e.g. 'Cruel carjackers must be caught!') But it's really hard to say that this alliteration is effectively persuading readers of anything. It'll depend on what you're focusing on, so maybe go back to the material and work out which of the devices seem like they're especially persuasive, or if there's any you could afford to cut out.

Other miscellaneous advice here :)

teacher28

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Language Analysis
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:36:10 am »
+2
Alliteration usually works in conjunction with other devices to: focus the vision on the phrase or statement (for some reason, the eye loves going back to alliterative structures); create rhythm,  which in turn generates tone and voila! the tone reveals attitude.

Alliteration is not the most persuasive strategy, but this is an effective way of dealing with it.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:37:42 am by teacher28 »
I think, I speak, I act. Therefore... I create my own reality.