Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 02:11:31 pm

Author Topic: How much content has everyone done?  (Read 1457 times)  Share 

laurenf58

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How much content has everyone done?
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:48:45 pm »
Out of curiousity,

How much content has everyone done? My class has already finished marketing and finance. Is it possible to go through it too quickly?
2017 HSC || Legal. Business. Studies of Religion 2. English Advanced. Mathematics.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How much content has everyone done?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:08 pm »
Out of curiousity,

How much content has everyone done? My class has already finished marketing and finance. Is it possible to go through it too quickly?

Hey! 50% of the way through in one term is pretty quick! Do you know if your teacher is planning on going back to revise? That's what some of my teachers did, worked fast which allowed lots of time to go back and revise. It relied on us doing a bit of work ourselves, but I think it worked well! ;D do you feel like you've understood what you've covered?

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »
Woah that's quick!

My class has finished Operations, and started Marketing today haha. We do a lot of HSC questions and stuff in between though so that takes up some time occasionally.
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:02:03 pm »
Out of curiousity,

Hey Laurenf58,

Finishing marketing and finance by week 2 of term 2 is quite fast (most schools do one topic per term, with most not even finishing the last topic by trials) which raises some concerns of the depth that you have gone into each topic. Have you done practice questions, reports or extended responses for each topic? or have you just covered the theory?

However, moving through business studies quickly is not impossible - the content itself is not too challenging (with the exception of a few dot points) and I saw most of it as common sense when it comes to good business practices. One of the schools I know tried to do the whole syllabus within 3 terms so that they could dedicate the whole of term 4 to just exam practice and prep - this worked well for some students but not for others. My advice to you is to figure out if you have a deep enough knowledge of the topics you have covered; since each student is different, you might feel that it was a bit rushed and you want to know a bit more about marketing and finance (you can always express these concerns with your teacher - that is what they are there for :)

Hope this helps :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

laurenf58

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:47:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply/advice :)

The content always feels very rushed. In class we go through heaps of powerpoints with summaries (so far we have had to teach ourselves about 1/4 of each topic). At the moment we are doing a group business report. I feel like I have a basic understanding of the course but I think my classmates struggle a bit.

I'm going well in Business at the moment, so i'm not sure if i should look for more content or notes etc.
2017 HSC || Legal. Business. Studies of Religion 2. English Advanced. Mathematics.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
Thanks for the reply/advice :)

The content always feels very rushed. In class we go through heaps of powerpoints with summaries (so far we have had to teach ourselves about 1/4 of each topic). At the moment we are doing a group business report. I feel like I have a basic understanding of the course but I think my classmates struggle a bit.

I'm going well in Business at the moment, so i'm not sure if i should look for more content or notes etc.
There's pros and cons to what your school is doing. The big pro is going to be if you finish rank 1 at your school, THEN have a term to prepare for the exam and actually utilise it. (Hello state rank!) -- even better is if you finish the course pretty much ready for the exam (infinitely harder but it's a nice goal)-- to do this, you'd definitely be looking to go deeper, even if your personal study is "behind" the class.

In your case, going back is getting ahead.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 06:43:10 am »
Hey, my school used all of last term for marketing and we're currently starting operations strategies. I definitely recommend some revision for a deeper understanding of the topics.
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!