Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 11:41:09 pm

Author Topic: can I go to Melbourne/Monash Uni  (Read 2369 times)  Share 

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
can I go to Melbourne/Monash Uni
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:20:27 am »
Hey guys so i'm currently a year 12 student in Melbourne, wanting to go to uni next year in australia (monash is my goal). However with these new increases I will no longer be able to afford the international student fees. I know there not enacted till January 2018 but is this for sure deal like 100% it's happening and have I missed the cut off? Is my only option to go back to new zeAland or pay these crazy fees. Btw i'm a permant resident have lived here for 3 years if that's any help.

deStudent

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: can I go to Melbourne/Monash Uni
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:06:37 pm »
Hey guys so i'm currently a year 12 student in Melbourne, wanting to go to uni next year in australia (monash is my goal). However with these new increases I will no longer be able to afford the international student fees. I know there not enacted till January 2018 but is this for sure deal like 100% it's happening and have I missed the cut off? Is my only option to go back to new zeAland or pay these crazy fees. Btw i'm a permant resident have lived here for 3 years if that's any help.
Link me to where you found out that New Zealanders have to pay international fees?

When they say 'full fees' I'm pretty sure they're referring to full CSP fees, also can't have a federal budget without fucking over New Zealanders in Australia some more, classic Australia!

Deshouka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • お互いに頑張ろう!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »
+1
Link me to where you found out that New Zealanders have to pay international fees?

When they say 'full fees' I'm pretty sure they're referring to full CSP fees, also can't have a federal budget without fucking over New Zealanders in Australia some more, classic Australia!

Recent email from Vice-Chancellor of melb uni:
"The proposed changes will not affect the fees for most international students. However, from 1 January 2018 most New Zealand citizens and most Australian permanent residents (that is, residents of Australia who hold a permanent residency visa but are not citizens of Australia) who are newly enrolling will no longer have access to a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). They will be treated as full-fee paying domestic students and will be eligible for HELP loans. Students in these groups who are already enrolled and presently hold a CSP will retain this while they are enrolled in their existing course. "
GG
Willing to help out with anything Japanese! :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:06 pm »
+2
Also this article: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/02/we-will-leave-kiwis-and-permanent-residents-reeling-uni-fee-hike

If you google New Zealand fee changes you'll see plenty of examples of articles around this topic.

I'd suggest you hold tight at this point. The package hasn't been completely released yet and the government will have to negotiate with the crossbench before this becomes law. It is certainly the government's intention to make these changes, but given our parliamentary system they are not a foregone conclusion.

I'm really sorry that you're in this situation. It's a terribly cruel thing to do to people who have called this place their home and is not at all in the spirit of the close relationship we have with NZ.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

deStudent

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:44 pm »
Recent email from Vice-Chancellor of melb uni:
"The proposed changes will not affect the fees for most international students. However, from 1 January 2018 most New Zealand citizens and most Australian permanent residents (that is, residents of Australia who hold a permanent residency visa but are not citizens of Australia) who are newly enrolling will no longer have access to a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). They will be treated as full-fee paying domestic students and will be eligible for HELP loans. Students in these groups who are already enrolled and presently hold a CSP will retain this while they are enrolled in their existing course. "
GG
Sigh. Worked my ass these past years with the intention of getting in to an Australian Uni. Could've just fucked around in NZ and fail NCEA but still get in to University of Auckland.

Hopefully this doesn't get enforced...

Mod Edit: Removed offensive language (see S1 of forum rules)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:29:10 pm by jamonwindeyer »

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:05:43 pm »
Sigh. Worked my ass these past years with the intention of getting in to an Australian Uni. Could've just fucked around in NZ and fail NCEA but still get in to University of Auckland.

Hopefully this doesn't get enforced...

literally how i feel right now worked my but of trying to get in to a top aus uni when I could of just stayed in NZ and went to auckland uni with my eyes closed.

Also this article: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/02/we-will-leave-kiwis-and-permanent-residents-reeling-uni-fee-hike

If you google New Zealand fee changes you'll see plenty of examples of articles around this topic.

I'd suggest you hold tight at this point. The package hasn't been completely released yet and the government will have to negotiate with the crossbench before this becomes law. It is certainly the government's intention to make these changes, but given our parliamentary system they are not a foregone conclusion.

I'm really sorry that you're in this situation. It's a terribly cruel thing to do to people who have called this place their home and is not at all in the spirit of the close relationship we have with NZ.

Thank you but I'm pretty sure it will be passed and even if not I wanted to do med via monash graduate and I just cant afford it if the law passes and by the time at that stage it will be. So NZ for me even though I have been living here for years.

Thank you but I'm pretty sure it will be passed and even if not I wanted to do med via monash graduate and I just cant afford it if the law passes and by the time at that stage it will be. So NZ for me even though I have been living here for years.

Mod Edit [Aaron]: Merged triple post.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:29:59 pm by Aaron »

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:40:52 pm »
Hey,
I'm basically in the exact same situation as you and its even worse because Jan 2018 is when i would have been eligible for citizenship, but since the whole process takes more than a couple of months, ill be stuck paying the full uni fee's for around a year. The thing is though i don't want to go to Auckland Uni, what a waste of time for me to move to Australia only to go back again??! It's such a frustrating situation but i guess my summer holidays are gonna be spent working 24/7 woop woop

omg that must be so annoying! We've only been here for 4years so we wouldn't have gotten citzenship anyways. My problem is I know my parents could pay the full fees but I really really wouldn't want them to sacrific it for me because I'm pretty sure im gonna be in UNI for a long time and it would be very expensive. So going back to NZ for uni doesnt seem to bad and then just coming back to work, I've actually missed new zealand as well!