Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 18, 2024, 05:19:26 am

Author Topic: Agrippina the Younger  (Read 6007 times)  Share 

Angela Karanikolas

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Agrippina the Younger
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:18:37 pm »
Hi guys,
For Ancient History we are focusing intensely upon Agrippina the Younger.
I was wondering if anyone has any information relevant to the Julio-Claudian era, Augustus and his family or on Agrippina the Younger.
I am in the process of trying to formulate a personality paper so I can understand her and her impact upon Rome and history.

Anything would be amazing,
Thank you,
Ange

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Agrippina the Younger
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:04:10 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
For Ancient History we are focusing intensely upon Agrippina the Younger.
I was wondering if anyone has any information relevant to the Julio-Claudian era, Augustus and his family or on Agrippina the Younger.
I am in the process of trying to formulate a personality paper so I can understand her and her impact upon Rome and history.

Anything would be amazing,
Thank you,
Ange

Hey Ange!

What in particular are you looking for? Legacy? Impact? Sources? I studied Agrippina the Younger/Julio-Claudians last year so I can defs help you out :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Angela Karanikolas

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:43:38 am »
Hey Ange!

What in particular are you looking for? Legacy? Impact? Sources? I studied Agrippina the Younger/Julio-Claudians last year so I can defs help you out :)

Susie

Hi Susie,
Yes sorry I was looking for her impact, I know the basis of it but I was in desperate need of an in depth view and maybe some sources if you have any. I have some from Tacitus but they're extremely gender biased and I need some sources that are on an equal focal point in relation to Agrippina.

Thank you,
Ange

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:35:11 am »
+6
Hi Susie,
Yes sorry I was looking for her impact, I know the basis of it but I was in desperate need of an in depth view and maybe some sources if you have any. I have some from Tacitus but they're extremely gender biased and I need some sources that are on an equal focal point in relation to Agrippina.

Thank you,
Ange
Ah k! Well in terms of impact, thats a multifaceted issue. In regards to Rome she had A LOT of influence - way more than any other woman from her time! This was partially established through her "superior pedigree" as one of the only individuals with a direct relation to every Julio-Claudian Princeps (including Augustus), but also because she was just fk'n smart! Like super smart and cunning. As she was a woman, direct influence was very difficult - instead she secured her influence through manipulating the various men in her life. I'll go through the important ones below:

- Claudius: Not only did she (allegedly) manipulate him into even marrying her, but she had considerable influence over the latter half of his reign, and according to some modern historians such as Anthony Barrett - that was a good thing! As he suggests: "It is apparent that the mood and atmosphere of Claudius’s reign improved measurably during its latter half … and it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that much of the impetus for this change for the better should be attributed to the influence and efforts of Agrippina. The influence of Agrippina on the senate would have been considerable…". She had a subsequent influence on the increasing influence of Freedmen and the Imperial Bureaucracy - many of whom she was a patron (eg. Pallas), meaning that they would essentially do what she says. Furthermore, she convinced Claudius to place her own son, Nero, ahead of his own son Britannicus in the line of succession, which had considerable impact down the track (as he was a bit of a shit ngl) :). Apparently, she also was key in orchestrating his death!

- Nero: At the beginning of his reign, Agrippina still held considerable impact over him, and again, this the the part of his reign that exerted the most positive outcomes! Nero was a boy emperor, and thus didn't really make any of his own decisions - pretty much all of them were filtered through his advisors Seneca and Burrus, BOTH of whom were patrons of Agrippina. However, Nero later started to resent Agrippina, as he saw her as too overbearing and controlling when she expressed her disapproval of one of his girlfriends, and thus her demise began. She was exiled from the palace, and Nero began to plot out her assassination. This was tricky, because Nero knew that his mother was politically still quite popular - for example Burrus who was the head of the Praetorian Guard said that they would play no part in her death because they were so loyal to her (and her father Germanicus) According to Tacitus he tried to poison her three times, however she realised this and prepared by taking antidotes. He then apparently had a false ceiling built in her bedroom, which when loosened would collapse on her in her sleep, but this was revealed. Finally he devised a collapsible boat: the idea was to kill her either in a shipwreck or by the collapse of its cabin - however the BAMF survives and swims to shore. Nero's plan finally works, when he just goes super simple and sends a bunch of guys with knives to stab her while she slept.

Legacy is a form of impact, and we can see that her impact there is further multifaceted. She has a very complex image, that is continuously shaped and reshaped. According to many of the Ancient Historians, such as Tacitus, Suetonius and Cassius Dio (and even some Modern historians such as Scullard), she was able to exert so much influence over Rome and the men in her life because she was either a) a wicked, evil 'stepmother' (using archetypal characters), b) a sexual deviant and seducer or c) a hyper-masculine woman commander! However so many modern historians, such as Ginsburg, Leadbetter, Ferrero and Barrett, they take a much more sympathetic look, some of them even presenting her as a feminist icon. We can see that no matter what though, her impact and legacy is intrinsically tied to her status as a woman, and her subversion of the expectations of her time. In terms of sources as well, I highly recommend having a look at archeological evidence - numismatic evidence (coins), statues, the sebasteon reliefs, etc. etc. :)

Hope this helps to get you started! I suggest also having a look around the notes section :) stephanieazzopardi's notes are really really good, I used them a lot for study last year :)

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Angela Karanikolas

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:07:34 pm »
+2
Ah k! Well in terms of impact, thats a multifaceted issue. In regards to Rome she had A LOT of influence - way more than any other woman from her time! This was partially established through her "superior pedigree" as one of the only individuals with a direct relation to every Julio-Claudian Princeps (including Augustus), but also because she was just fk'n smart! Like super smart and cunning. As she was a woman, direct influence was very difficult - instead she secured her influence through manipulating the various men in her life. I'll go through the important ones below:

- Claudius: Not only did she (allegedly) manipulate him into even marrying her, but she had considerable influence over the latter half of his reign, and according to some modern historians such as Anthony Barrett - that was a good thing! As he suggests: "It is apparent that the mood and atmosphere of Claudius’s reign improved measurably during its latter half … and it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that much of the impetus for this change for the better should be attributed to the influence and efforts of Agrippina. The influence of Agrippina on the senate would have been considerable…". She had a subsequent influence on the increasing influence of Freedmen and the Imperial Bureaucracy - many of whom she was a patron (eg. Pallas), meaning that they would essentially do what she says. Furthermore, she convinced Claudius to place her own son, Nero, ahead of his own son Britannicus in the line of succession, which had considerable impact down the track (as he was a bit of a shit ngl) :). Apparently, she also was key in orchestrating his death!

- Nero: At the beginning of his reign, Agrippina still held considerable impact over him, and again, this the the part of his reign that exerted the most positive outcomes! Nero was a boy emperor, and thus didn't really make any of his own decisions - pretty much all of them were filtered through his advisors Seneca and Burrus, BOTH of whom were patrons of Agrippina. However, Nero later started to resent Agrippina, as he saw her as too overbearing and controlling when she expressed her disapproval of one of his girlfriends, and thus her demise began. She was exiled from the palace, and Nero began to plot out her assassination. This was tricky, because Nero knew that his mother was politically still quite popular - for example Burrus who was the head of the Praetorian Guard said that they would play no part in her death because they were so loyal to her (and her father Germanicus) According to Tacitus he tried to poison her three times, however she realised this and prepared by taking antidotes. He then apparently had a false ceiling built in her bedroom, which when loosened would collapse on her in her sleep, but this was revealed. Finally he devised a collapsible boat: the idea was to kill her either in a shipwreck or by the collapse of its cabin - however the BAMF survives and swims to shore. Nero's plan finally works, when he just goes super simple and sends a bunch of guys with knives to stab her while she slept.

Legacy is a form of impact, and we can see that her impact there is further multifaceted. She has a very complex image, that is continuously shaped and reshaped. According to many of the Ancient Historians, such as Tacitus, Suetonius and Cassius Dio (and even some Modern historians such as Scullard), she was able to exert so much influence over Rome and the men in her life because she was either a) a wicked, evil 'stepmother' (using archetypal characters), b) a sexual deviant and seducer or c) a hyper-masculine woman commander! However so many modern historians, such as Ginsburg, Leadbetter, Ferrero and Barrett, they take a much more sympathetic look, some of them even presenting her as a feminist icon. We can see that no matter what though, her impact and legacy is intrinsically tied to her status as a woman, and her subversion of the expectations of her time. In terms of sources as well, I highly recommend having a look at archeological evidence - numismatic evidence (coins), statues, the sebasteon reliefs, etc. etc. :)

Hope this helps to get you started! I suggest also having a look around the notes section :) stephanieazzopardi's notes are really really good, I used them a lot for study last year :)

Susie

Thank you so much Susie,
Without fail you make my tasks so much easier to comprehend.
I completely forgot how to use this hahaha better check the notes.

Thank you again for all your help, it's always such a blessing to have your advice and information,
Ange

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:17:42 pm »
+2
Thank you so much Susie,
Without fail you make my tasks so much easier to comprehend.
I completely forgot how to use this hahaha better check the notes.

Thank you again for all your help, it's always such a blessing to have your advice and information,
Ange
Absolutely no worries! So glad I could help :)

Susie

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:31:32 am »
+2
Your essays of answers are insanely good, Susie. I weep inside every time I see zero upvotes :'(
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:15 am »
+1
Your essays of answers are insanely good, Susie. I weep inside every time I see zero upvotes :'(
thank you! and haha s'all good, I love talking about this kinda stuff, so knowing that on occasion my obsessive talking is helping someone else love history too (or at least find it easier) rather than just being annoying is defs reward enough ;)

Angela Karanikolas

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 10:29:17 pm »
+2
thank you! and haha s'all good, I love talking about this kinda stuff, so knowing that on occasion my obsessive talking is helping someone else love history too (or at least find it easier) rather than just being annoying is defs reward enough ;)

A history genius!!!
Thank you so much Susie, you've saved me again!!
Please excuse my constant posting

Thank you,
Angela

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:53:49 pm »
+2
Can concur! I learnt so much just from reading your post suddods!

+1'd

Also, I dunno if this would help (probs not very relevant but worth looking at), but it helped me when I was reading the Aeneid: http://studylib.net/doc/8204253/augustus-and-the-julio-claudians
2017: VCE COMPLETED

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 12:06:08 am »
+2
A history genius!!!
Thank you so much Susie, you've saved me again!!
Please excuse my constant posting

Thank you,
Angela
Can concur! I learnt so much just from reading your post suddods!

+1'd

Also, I dunno if this would help (probs not very relevant but worth looking at), but it helped me when I was reading the Aeneid: http://studylib.net/doc/8204253/augustus-and-the-julio-claudians
You guys are all so sweet - History fam group hug <3

Angela - You do not need to be excused! Post away :) That is what this thread (and this entire forum) is here for!!
Peterpiper - Thanks so much for sharing! That looks like a fabulous resource! I'm going to add it to the Ancient History resource thread :)

jadzia26

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:43 pm »
+2
My assessment for Agrippina the younger was basically handing in study notes (they were marked) and then 2 responses under exam conditions. I definitely found the study notes component helped my understanding of the topic immensely because it forced me to study it in depth.
Properly analysing and incorporating sources effectively can be tricky though (I found, anyway) I don't know how I'm going to remember it all for trials in week 5!!! so close!!!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:12 pm »
+2
My assessment for Agrippina the younger was basically handing in study notes (they were marked) and then 2 responses under exam conditions. I definitely found the study notes component helped my understanding of the topic immensely because it forced me to study it in depth.
Properly analysing and incorporating sources effectively can be tricky though (I found, anyway) I don't know how I'm going to remember it all for trials in week 5!!! so close!!!
Awesome! It's always great having assignments that are designed to help you study in the future. We did the same in Ancient as well, had to write a fact sheet on one aspect of Sparta, that was then distributed to the entire class so we all had a decent set of notes :) And don't stress about trials (I know easier said then done lol) - we're here to help! If there is anything you need help with, please let us know :) Would love to make the exam period a little easier!