Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 05:21:22 pm

Author Topic: Individual Project Discussion Thread!  (Read 1891 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Individual Project Discussion Thread!
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:46:40 pm »
+4
Hey guys!!

With only a month to go until they're due (eek!), I thought it might be nice to have a dedicated thread available, where everyone can discuss the progress of their Individual Projects :) Whether you're doing a monologue, a film, a script, design, critical analysis, promotion, etc. etc, I'm super interested to hear how everyone is going! I'd particularly love to hear about everyones experience with Trials performances - do you think it went well? Did everyone laugh/gasp/cry when they were meant to? Did you manage to remember all your lines? (those questions are mainly for the monologue-y peeps - but keen to hear about how trials went for the project fam too!) Went to watch my old school's Trial performances recently, and I was absolutely blown away. So amazing - made me miss drama so bad :(

Feel free to use this thread in whatever way you like - to discuss ideas, ask questions, look for feedback, vent about how people think drama is a bludge when it is literally one of the hardest subjects ever...  ;) Hopefully we can make this a super happy, positive, creative space :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Individual Project Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:55 am »
+2
Argh! My performances are due in a week! I got trial results back recently and apparently both IP and GP require more tonal change, how can I go about fixing this?
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:10 am »
+1
Argh! My performances are due in a week! I got trial results back recently and apparently both IP and GP require more tonal change, how can I go about fixing this?
Good luck!! I'm sure you'll smash it - when they say tonal change, do you mean that you were sound a bit flat? Like that the emotions of the character weren't being delivered vocally as effectively as they could have been? Perhaps this will help - last year, my teacher made us get our script, and for every half a sentence, write down what the intentions of that character were - the subtext. So for example, let's say that my character said "I'm so sorry that I am late", the subtext, and what my character is thinking when they say this may be "shit, I've been late 3 times now in the past week, I hope I don't get fired". By recognising this subtext and intention, it becomes a lot easier to reflect the emotion, rather than just reading a script. The words of a script are two dimensional, until YOU add the dimension.

Beyond that, just try and be really picky with yourself - this may seem unnatural, but on your script write down next to a word what inflection you'll use, or whether the character raises their voice in this instance, etc. etc.

Hope this helps!! Good luck with your performances next week - let us know how it goes :)

Susie

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

kdawgs

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:37:07 pm »
+1
any tips on writing a monolouge rationale? I'm so lost

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:03:35 pm »
any tips on writing a monolouge rationale? I'm so lost
Hey! So I didn't word of warning - I didn't do a monologue aha, I did a short film. So the format may be slightly different. However the way that I structured my rationale was by first discussing why I wanted to tell the story that I did, what themes and issues I wanted to focus on, how that was to be translated through things such as style, form, tone, costume, proxemics, etc. :) It shouldn't read like an essay - the best way I can describe it is like a detailed blurb, or a summary of your major work :)

BOSTES actually published some samples here if you want to have a look :) Just remember these aren't necessarily "exemplars" - we don't know what mark these received. But hopefully they should give you a good indication of structure :)