Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 11:22:43 pm

Author Topic: Is it possible to achieve a study score of 0 for methods?  (Read 5382 times)

ALEYNAS

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Is it possible to achieve a study score of 0 for methods?
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »
Last month i dropped methods ( after having completed all of the SACs, i know... stupid) and not long ago just A WEEK before the exams i decided to pick up the subject again on impulse! Now i am REALLY regretting it, i know that it is my absolute weakness and now i'm afraid that i'm going to get a study score of 0. Now, i know that you may think i'm exaggerating but i literally mean it when i say i might get a 0. I got an S for units 3 and 4, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is even possible to get a study score of 0 given that i got an S for my SACs.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Is it possible to achieve a study score of 0 for methods?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:06:08 pm »
+5
I don't know the specifics of scoring, but I don't think it's really possible - even if you were to flunk the exams.

In the exams, you can often get marks for writing the formula you'd use (subbing in the values), and even writing out a bit of relevant working out (even if you don't get the answer), so you're bound to get at least a few marks :) Plus, you can guess multi choice if you have to and you're probably likely to at least get one guess right.
Don't forget, the knowledge is there somewhere in your head! And if you have your bound reference book that you can take into exam 2, that can be a big help.

You still have some time before the exams anyway, so you can review topics and principles, do some practice questions, and have a chat to your teacher.
Realistically, if it's going to be in your bottom 2 - what's the harm in giving it a red hot crack? Because it'll still end up contributing a few points to your ATAR, even if it's only a few. :)

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:00:12 pm »
+4
Hey Aleyna!

I'm not sure of the possibility of achieving a zero study score, but considering it is an extra subject it does nothing else but boost your ATAR. Even if, say you get a study score of 5 (not saying you will, but as an example), and you do well in your other subjects, Methods will be your bottom subject, and will only count 10% towards your ATAR. That means that it still added to your ATAR, but very little. My friend told me of a person who didn't rock up to their exams and got in the 20's, so I'm sure scoring a zero is way out of your bounds.

I know there's a lot of pressure for a subject like Methods, but just give it your best crack - you never know what might happen :D

All the best,
Hydroxyl
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:07:15 pm by Hydroxyl »
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~

Wisdom17

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »
+1
Methods hasn't been great this year for me. My sacs were probably pretty low as well this year. What score do you need to get on both exams to get a study score of 30 above??