Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 24, 2024, 04:17:18 am

Author Topic: Influence of field  (Read 1538 times)  Share 

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
Influence of field
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:17 pm »
+1
Hi! Could someone give me a brief definition and an example of this? I can't seem to find it in the study design. Cheers!

TheAspiringDoc

Re: Influence of field
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:52:35 pm »
+2
I believe field is just the topic (a.k.a. subject matter). It's a bit more specific than the domain, which is the general area of the topic.
E.g.
Domain - ball sports
Field - U20 Women's croquet semi-finals

EDIT: I was wrong!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:45:44 am by TheAspiringDoc »

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:56:20 pm »
+2
Hi! Could someone give me a brief definition and an example of this? I can't seem to find it in the study design. Cheers!
Hello !! :)

Field: an area of meaning (for e.g. medicine) which is characterised by common lexical items (GP, surgeon, nurse, injection, clinic)

So then I think the influence of field would be for e.g. what that field and the jargon in that field tell us about the register?
For e.g the jargon in the field of 'law' would be quite formal, compared to the jargon used in say the field of Cooking...
(sorry for a bad example!!!)  ;D :P

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:27:52 pm »
+1
Hello !! :)

Field: an area of meaning (for e.g. medicine) which is characterised by common lexical items (GP, surgeon, nurse, injection, clinic)

So then I think the influence of field would be for e.g. what that field and the jargon in that field tell us about the register?
For e.g the jargon in the field of 'law' would be quite formal, compared to the jargon used in say the field of Cooking...
(sorry for a bad example!!!)  ;D :P

I thought field was more specific/narrow than a general area such as 'medicine'? Or am I going down the wrong track..?
EDIT: I was wrong!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:45:13 am by TheAspiringDoc »

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:58 pm »
+2
I thought field was more specific/narrow then a general area such as 'medicine'? Or am I going down the wrong track..?
I feel like field is the broad and general area.
Because if you think about semantic and lexical field, then these are they are broad topics that then have their respective jargon.

Do you think that's a fair interpretation?

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 11:56:24 pm »
+1
I think this is great food for thought but I’m not sure if it’s actually semantic field. There’s an extract in our textbook from ‘Living Lingo’ where a father uses special language to ease pronunciation (highly informal reg) with his two daughters, the rest of the extract is purely about waking his daughters up and making them cook breakfast. The following question then asks for the register of the text whilst taking note of the influence of field, It almost seems more like cultural context but there’s also something called influence of context?

I feel like field is the broad and general area.
Because if you think about semantic and lexical field, then these are they are broad topics that then have their respective jargon.

Do you think that's a fair interpretation?
Aren’t semantic and lexical field the same? Lexemes make up a semantic field

Mod edit: merged double post. Please edit your existing post rather than double posting.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:01:17 am by Aaron »

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:28:49 am »
+4
So the definition I use for field is that the field is the broad, over-arching topic of the text. For example, a government brochure on vaccinations may have a field of 'medicine' or 'public health'. VCAA only mentions "field" in the Study Design, and doesn't define it, and I think some teachers define field as much more specific. Also, some teachers use "domain" interchangeably with "field" but I would be careful doing that, as VCAA doesn't use "domain" in this way.

This definition of field is distinct from semantic fields, which is listed in the Study Design as "semantic fields/domains". A semantic field is a set of words with a related meaning. For example, "wingman", "uncontested possession" and "behind" would all be in the semantic field of AFL.

Of course, a text's field and the semantic fields in a text are related in a way. For example, the government brochure with the field of "public health" may have words in the text from semantic fields of disease, law, education, government etc.