Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 03:11:18 pm

Author Topic: Minimum maths knowledge?  (Read 1753 times)  Share 

KukuPhoenix

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Minimum maths knowledge?
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:42:24 pm »
Hi! I was basically forced into physics, and I have 0 hsc maths subjects done, so my knowledge in mathematics is pretty general. I was wondering what are the most basic/given mathematic concepts in both prelim/hsc, any help is appreciated :)

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Minimum maths knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:14:21 am »
+6
Is your HSC the new or "old" syllabus for physics?
If it's the old, it will be good if you had an understanding of how to manipulate equations and rearrange them (so perhaps an advanced level of general maths, or a basic level of advanced maths). Example if asked to determine the strength of gravity on a planet, given it's mass and radius you can calculate it by the following;

Where you have been told both equations on the start of each line, and you need to use them to obtain the last equation (g = GM/d^2)
Other than that (which is probably a harder example of the maths) you can be required to calculate different situations, which is mainly a matter of looking at the numbers and putting them into the formula in the correct spot, and often not forgetting square's of the numbers or square roots etc.

For the new syllabus (which I have not done, and have only heard brief snippets about it; take the following with a grain of salt), I've heard that there is more maths involved. However, I'm not sure what this maths is sorry.

Hope that helps

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:11:09 am »
For the new syllabus (which I have not done, and have only heard brief snippets about it; take the following with a grain of salt), I've heard that there is more maths involved. However, I'm not sure what this maths is sorry.

Even the new one is manageable, there is more stuff you need but you can learn it if you are keen and willing to put in the effort ;D

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:59:44 am »
for the current one, general maths is enough although it is advisable to do at least 2U if you want to do any form of science after graduation.... tbh I really hate the fact that this syllabus is lacking in mathematics
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:47:43 pm »
for the current one, general maths is enough although it is advisable to do at least 2U if you want to do any form of science after graduation.... tbh I really hate the fact that this syllabus is lacking in mathematics

I agree with this, the jump from secondary to tertiary Physics is far too intense right now :)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 10:44:49 pm »
I agree with this, the jump from secondary to tertiary Physics is far too intense right now :)

I was told that multiple times by people who did engineering and my father who also did electrical told me that the physics I am doing is nothing compared to his and babyish.... I did extension 2 maths for the hsc simply because I liked mathematics but not particularly good at it (I enjoy hard solving hard problems).... Jamon, if I want to do tertiary level physics, how do I prepare after the hsc?
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:06:59 am »
I was told that multiple times by people who did engineering and my father who also did electrical told me that the physics I am doing is nothing compared to his and babyish.... I did extension 2 maths for the hsc simply because I liked mathematics but not particularly good at it (I enjoy hard solving hard problems).... Jamon, if I want to do tertiary level physics, how do I prepare after the hsc?

Getting exposure to and enjoying higher levels of maths is really all you can do, and all you need! The danger is when people don't do try that heavy maths, then get to university and realise, "Oh shit, Physics is heavy maths ;)"

You could pick yourself up a 1st Year Physics Textbook I guess, but I'd just be prepared for the maths to come! No need to do anything crazy to prepare imo :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:43:50 am »
Evidence that 4U math is the best course in the HSC.
Or at least imo.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:02:41 am »
Evidence that 4U math is the best course in the HSC.
Or at least imo.

My first downvote, like, ever - And absolutely warranted ;)