Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 18, 2024, 05:48:35 am

Author Topic: physics reading material  (Read 1237 times)  Share 

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
physics reading material
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:45:30 am »
Hi guys,
I wonder if excel and atar notes (Jamon's summarised syllabus notes) are sufficient to understand the theory if I really want a band 6, or should I read through Jacaranda Physics? (For practice I rely purely on passpapers and I notice I do not know enough)..
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
Re: physics reading material
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:59:31 am »
+1
Hi guys,
I wonder if excel and atar notes (Jamon's summarised syllabus notes) are sufficient to understand the theory if I really want a band 6, or should I read through Jacaranda Physics? (For practice I rely purely on passpapers and I notice I do not know enough)..

Hey!!

The main problem I had with Jacaranda is that it normally has so much extraneous information, that is never needed, so it makes it difficult to understand what you need to crack down on content wise, but it doesn't mean it is useless.

The best thing you can do is go over the physics syllabus and ask yourself, can I really "Discuss the effect of the Earth's orbital motion on spacecrafts?"
This is where Jamon's notes (or excels) become very useful, as it only follows the syllabus content, the stuff you only need, and shows where in the syllabus you are really lacking.

Love to hear other opinions :))

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:01:18 am by blasonduo »
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:35:29 pm »
+1
Hi guys,
Hey there!
I know blasonduo has responded to this (and I agree with his points), I wanted to share with you another source. When I make study notes, it's a combination of Excel, AN Physics Course Notes and Dux College. Dux College is really good in condensing their information in dot points so if you find Jacaranda too much (as my teacher calls it- 'mushy'), Dux College can give you condensed information.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »
Thanks guys, because I know my teacher have told me that for a band 6 material Jacaranda is excellent as it goes in depth but I just want to hear opinions from others, that's all
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:10:38 pm »
+2
Thanks guys, because I know my teacher have told me that for a band 6 material Jacaranda is excellent as it goes in depth but I just want to hear opinions from others, that's all

You'll never need about three quarters of the stuff in Jacaranda to get a Band 6 ;) textbooks are always full of unnecessary stuff, they are fantastic don't get me wrong, but not once did I ever sit down and thumb through my textbook. There are far better and more efficient resources out there ;D