Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 04, 2024, 07:41:33 pm

Author Topic: HSC Equivalent of VCE Subjects  (Read 13189 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: HSC Equivalent of VCE Subjects
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 04:26:27 pm »
Question. How does VCE Physics compare with HSC Physics?
Are you allowed to take in your own summary sheet on top of this?
Are you allowed as many pages as we are?
The only way I can describe HSC Physics is that there are a lot of short answer questions and most of the time, you need to include the formulae in your response and explain how the formula helps explain the concept. For example, they can ask about special relativity question (usually subbing numbers into a formula) then the second part will ask you to explain the limitations of one of the special relativity formulae and you generally need to include the formula itself in your response. But history based questions are common, like they can ask a 6-mark question on the social and political forces on Planck and Einstein. It's kinda an inside joke that physics is essentially a history subject. But supposedly, the old syllabus took out most of the math components to accomodate for those who don't do math, but I would argue that math is essential in physics (like how the periodic table is essential in Chemistry). However, they're bringing back math in the new syllabus.

We don't get summary sheets, we get formula and data sheet, and the periodic table. These are the only things the examiners will provide so we're not allowed to bring anything into the exam.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 04:31:32 pm »
But history based questions are common, like they can ask a 6-mark question on the social and political forces on Planck and Einstein. It's kinda an inside joke that physics is essentially a history subject.
So Modern history is and Physics are interchangeable? ??? :)
We don't get summary sheets, we get formula and data sheet, and the periodic table. These are the only things the examiners will provide so we're not allowed to bring anything into the exam.
???
I haven't used a periodic table in ages. Is HSC really heavily focused on nuclear stuff?

And no summary sheet? That sucks! We get a double sided A3 sheet we can take in!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 04:41:38 pm »
+1
So Modern history is and Physics are interchangeable? ??? :) ???
Kinda. There are some questionable dot points like the example I gave you, or the development of AC and DC and discussing the roles of Westinghouse vs Edison. But those questions aren't the majority- they're usually in the multiple choice or there's one question on the development of something. Most questions are either asking you to sub numbers into a formula or explain how a formula works when applying it to a real-life situation. So, there's barely any math, but you need to have a strong understanding of the formulae.

I haven't used a periodic table in ages. Is HSC really heavily focused on nuclear stuff?
Tbh, I barely use the periodic table. It's probably needed if there's a question on doping semiconductors but I've never used it. Physics doesn't really focus on nuclear stuff. If a school chooses to study Quanta to Quarks as an elective (there are other electives to choose from), you study particle physics and get  into a bit of quantum physics (e.g. quarks, muons), a bit on nuclear fusion/fission, and then you look at applications of radioisotopes and the uses of particle accelerators but you only study how they work and its applications rather than go into the chemistry of specific elements. And then there's a syllabus dot point on the Manhattan Project.

Essentially, physics likes to look at how a specific concept works (on a general basis) and then apply it to real-life situations (e.g. medical, agricultural applications) and then they like to ask its impacts on society and environment (these kinds of questions are common since they like to ask you to discuss its uses).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW