Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 07:13:14 pm

Author Topic: How hard is it to manage a double degree?  (Read 3113 times)  Share 

palebluedot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How hard is it to manage a double degree?
« on: May 29, 2018, 04:35:24 pm »
+1
Hi guys!

(apologising in advance if i make no sense, I know nothing about uni!)

Im currently in year 12, and im starting to look at courses, and was just wondering, in terms of a double degree

How does it work? (like when do you do each subject thingy?)
Is it really hard to manage workload?
Do you believe it is worth it?

Thanks!

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: How hard is it to manage a double degree?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:56:00 pm »
+2
Hi guys!

Im currently in year 12, and im starting to look at courses, and was just wondering, in terms of a double degree

Thanks!
Hi there !

I’m doing a double degree at the moment!

The amount of workload stays the same as if you do just a single degree.

The only difference is that you don’t get to choose as many electives (where as you can pick many with a single degree).

A full time load is still 48 credits (assuming 6 credits per unit) :)

Is it with it ? Yes !

It broadens your horizons and opportunities.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:57:50 pm by EEEEEEP »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »
+3
The workload is similar, depending on where you go.

I have seen some double degrees that do 5 subjects per semester rather than the standard 4 for a full time load. One subject extra per semester.... that often is one subject too many depending on whether you can handle it.

Would I say do it... most certainly if you can handle it. Two degrees are better than one, keeping in mind you will be paying for both :)

And the best part is, you can (most of the time) transfer to just a single degree if you feel the workload is too much and unbearable.

I would be weighing up whether doing a double degree is beneficial for your future aspirations. Will both degrees contribute to your future success or will only one? What are the benefits of doing a double degree with two bachelors rather than a bachelor + master combination? Just putting some things out there for consideration. It will be entirely dependent on your circumstances.

Usually you can find course handbooks/maps on the university website (or google, most are indexed). These outline the subjects you have to do. I'd take a look at them as a first point of reference.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:43:22 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:06:45 pm »
+1
Hi guys!

Thanks!
It will be the same workload (if not easier than a single degree imo but can be on either side of easier/harder depending on your combination of degrees.).  Double degree does not mean double the workload.
The double degree will get you two degrees in 2 years less than you would get them as a single degrees back to back. (e.g. Engineering (4 years) + Commerce (3 years), a double of both is possible in 5 years.

Whether it is worth it or not will depend on your cirumstances and plans for post graduation.

As for when you choose to do the subjects - there is bit a flexibility to choose when you want to do which subjects (with flexibility of around 1-3 years)but you just need to make sure you fufill all the prerequisites.