Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 03:16:55 am

Author Topic: Business Studies  (Read 1262 times)

fahdabdul

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Business Studies
« on: June 23, 2018, 07:49:05 pm »
Hey Guys
I need some help regarding the whole business essay concept.
1) Is it better to use hypothetical case studies or to have applications of real businesses? My teacher advised me to use a hypothetical case study as teachers wont be able to mark you down for it. However, the head teacher of the faculty recommends for us to use real businesses to demonstrate our comprehensive knowledge of the dynamic business world.

2) Our essay is based on the Finance module. So how would I incorporate case studies into it in terms of the structure for the essay? Would i explain a concept and give an example? E.g. Profitability is a financial objective which aims to maximise the profits of a business. In recent years, Nike has been experiencing an increasing trend in its gross profit and net profit margin with its gross profit increasing by 1% between 2016 and 2017.

3) Is it better to use one case study or a whole variety of them?

Thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Business Studies
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:44:41 pm »
+5
Hey!

1. This is just my opinion - but real businesses! It's way easier to talk about real businesses than fake ones you've made up on the spot lol.
2. Just think of it as any other essay. You have your topic sentence, then you talk about a few concepts. Then you chuck in a case study and maybe a quick evaluation of how your example business has used a certain operations/marketing/finance/HR strategy, as an example. In the sample you've written, I'd suggest explaining a bit more about profitability so it links a little more to your case study.
3. A variety - it shows the marker you've done some research and have knowledge of a variety of case studies, even if you've just googled a few stats.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:09:09 am »
+5
Hey Guys
I need some help regarding the whole business essay concept.
1) Is it better to use hypothetical case studies or to have applications of real businesses? My teacher advised me to use a hypothetical case study as teachers wont be able to mark you down for it. However, the head teacher of the faculty recommends for us to use real businesses to demonstrate our comprehensive knowledge of the dynamic business world.

2) Our essay is based on the Finance module. So how would I incorporate case studies into it in terms of the structure for the essay? Would i explain a concept and give an example? E.g. Profitability is a financial objective which aims to maximise the profits of a business. In recent years, Nike has been experiencing an increasing trend in its gross profit and net profit margin with its gross profit increasing by 1% between 2016 and 2017.

3) Is it better to use one case study or a whole variety of them?

Thanks
To add onto fb3 here...
1: So i agree its definitely better to use real businesses. There's nothing wrong with hypothtical ones but its very easy to stuff them up and you really don't have time in the exam to devote to making hypotheticval businesses up to suit questions
2: So you talk about profitability..If the question is something like "analyse the success of businesses increasing their profitabilitty" or something (purely hypothetical) then you would name, definte and describe profitability THEN insert case study of nike (ACTION->RESULTS) How does nike increase their profitability-what are the results of this?
3: I actually just use a few. It helps me to keep it under wraps like i'd try and use the same case study for a variety of different dot points. But definitely have more than one as some case studies really don't fit well with certain dot points whereas others are perfect for them.

Hope this helps!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 02:19:12 pm »
+5
In terms of profitability, I think a really good point to bring up include the profitability ratios, as they are a good indication to how successful a business really is with respect to their finance sector. Here's a great link to help you with ideas in discussing profitability.

fahdabdul

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:53:25 pm »
Thanks a lot guys. This really helped me out! :)