Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:13:43 am

Author Topic: Plastic bag ban  (Read 4686 times)  Share 

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: Plastic bag ban
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 03:25:32 pm »
I personally think that this whole BS about "Ban the Bag" is ott. It's seriously a money-spinner for the companies.
But yes, I think that people WILL reuse bags, just the same as people always HAVE reused bags, whether it be to do their shopping, or to do the 1001 things that you use plastic bags for around the house.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 04:15:36 pm »
+6
The ban is back - Coles says it will now stop handing them out after August 29.

@S200
I do agree that supermarkets are benefitting from the extra money - I wish they would donate the profits to cleaning up the environment or something.

Whilst a lot of people do reuse the bags, a lot of people don’t. Something has to be done to stop the ridiculous amount of bags that end up in the environment, and I don’t think we can just trust people to do the right thing. In the same way that the government enforces road rules and gun laws to protect humans, they need to enforce plastic bans to protect the environment.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Potato Son

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 04:31:25 pm »
The ban is back - Coles says it will now stop handing them out after August 29.

Wow what is it with Coles and its indecisiveness; if you wanna ban then ban them, and stick with it! Don't go ban-give away-ban- doesn't look quite good on themselves
2017: Chemistry, Indonesian SL
2018: English, Biology, Methods, German, UMEP Biology
:) :) :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »
Wow what is it with Coles and its indecisiveness; if you wanna ban then ban them, and stick with it! Don't go ban-give away-ban- doesn't look quite good on themselves

I think in this case it was a lot of media spin. Coles never actually said that they were reversing the ban, they just said that they were going to continue to give them out free for longer than they initially said (both Coles and woolies gave them out free for a few weeks).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 04:48:53 pm »
+3
Ah! At least someone has sense!

Good on ya's Coles!!! :D
Why do you see this as making sense? To be honest, of course it's a money-making scheme. But it's also mutually beneficial. If you want plastic bags for use around the house, they're still available - just not for free. This is to ensure people think twice about their use. And personally, even in a family of 7, we were always overwhelmed by single-use plastic bags - they would tear, the handles would break and you would end up having to throw them out anyway. No matter how many we did reuse, (and trust me, we used a lot) they always end up in landfill much faster and in higher numbers than these new reusable bags. It's a mutually beneficial scheme - for the companies, and the world if we want to keep our lives as they are.

This was a government initiative. Large corporate stores such as Woolies and Coles are required to ban single-use bags and encourage a more environmentally-friendly option. So, why blame Coles and Woolworths for something they cannot control? Why complain about something that was always inevitable? And for the better of Earth?
Like Aaron, Phoenixx and J41, I'm all for the ban.

There will always be holes in the system. What we need to do is suck it up and work with it as a society.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating