Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 06:11:06 pm

Author Topic: Chemical Monitoring and Management - how does gas-liquid chromatography work?  (Read 688 times)  Share 

melonsinwater

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How does gas-liquid chromatography (chemical principle used for analytical chemists) work?

Please explain in detail because I really don't understand what's going on or if I should just switch the branch of chemistry I chose because analytical too hard :(. This is for the dot-point:
• outline the role of a chemist employed in a named industry or enterprise, identifying the branch of chemistry undertaken by the chemist and explaining a chemical principle that the chemist uses
in Chemical Monitoring and Management.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
+1
How does gas-liquid chromatography (chemical principle used for analytical chemists) work?

Please explain in detail because I really don't understand what's going on or if I should just switch the branch of chemistry I chose because analytical too hard :(. This is for the dot-point:
• outline the role of a chemist employed in a named industry or enterprise, identifying the branch of chemistry undertaken by the chemist and explaining a chemical principle that the chemist uses
in Chemical Monitoring and Management.

Hi…

Gas-liquid chromatography is an analytical chemical method that qualitatively and quantitatively determines the substances in a sample. Would definitely recommend looking up some diagrams, as these super helpful in showing the basic steps involved. Nevertheless, the basic steps are:
1.   A sample is inserted into the injector oven using a small syringe.
2.   The sample is heated and then boils in a series of column ovens - which contains many coils, and are packed with a porous substance and waxy polymer.
3.   The amount of time taken for the gases to move through the column ovens and past a detector is characteristic of that substance. (Known as the retention time).

So basically, a little analogy for gas-liquid chromatography is measuring how fast a substance can get through the maze.

Retention Times are Impacted By:
- Substance solubility as a liquid (ie if it dissolves into the material of the column ovens, it will have a longer retention time).
- Substance boiling point (ie a higher boiling point will cause a longer retention time)
- Temperature of column ovens (ie higher temperature = faster retention time, though this will occur for all of the substances, so all the times will still be relative to each other)

These factors help scientists to distinguish between substances through the detector output, and also register their quantities in the sample.

Hope this provides a bit of clarity!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
If you are really stuck, do the Haber process. This is what I did since its already in the next section
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2