Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 02:26:49 pm

Author Topic: Probability!  (Read 598 times)  Share 

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Probability!
« on: October 19, 2018, 06:27:42 pm »
Hey guys,

I need some advice for probability - I struggle to comprehend pretty much every probability question out there aside from basic 3U ones and have absolutely no method of approaching probability questions. It's the only topic I'm really struggling with but what's some advice for me to be able to understand how to solve probability problems (the solutions never make sense to me either)
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Probability!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 06:32:02 pm »
+2
It essentially relies on how well you understand perms and combs, which to be fair is quite hard in MX2.

For probability questions, they can always be tackled using the formula:
\[ \operatorname{Pr}(\text{Event occurs}) = \frac{\text{Favourable outcomes}}{\text{Total outcomes}}. \]
This formula allows everything to be done combinatorially and half-erases the need for intuition. The total outcomes is generally a more straightforward computation. It is the number of favourable outcomes that typically takes a lot more work.

Advice was given on this stuff during my trial HSC lectures. Beyond that, you would need to provide questions to indicate more of where the difficulties are. (Because sadly there's no universal approach for tackling combinatorics problems; only tons of rules of thumb)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:36:09 pm by RuiAce »