Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 07, 2024, 11:34:25 am

Author Topic: Rounding the number of payments!  (Read 4085 times)  Share 

Richard Feynman 101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: -12
Re: Rounding the number of payments!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »
Having done most of the VCAA further exams I have not found this particular issue of having to round down where payments are, say, 9.26.
One has to remember that VCAA exams go through proper vetting to ensure their is no ambiguity in questions. There are teachers who quite literally sit these exams to ensure they are fine.
I would not be surprised if VCAA actively ensures the payment number is 9.x where x is greater than 50 in order to have both those that round and those that take the logical approach on rounding are correct.

No ambiguity! Yikes! Gotta be pretty good at English (feel for the EAL kids). Attached is such an example, notice in particular Elli, that could be interpreted two ways (Elil her predicition and person 4 being the one student she predicts), wrong for the first statement and correct for the second statement.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 01:23:19 pm »
No ambiguity! Yikes! Gotta be pretty good at English (feel for the EAL kids). Attached is such an example, notice in particular Elli, that could be interpreted two ways (Elil her predicition and person 4 being the one student she predicts), wrong for the first statement and correct for the second statement.

Not too sure what this has to do with rounding payments nor do I understand what question is asking as I do not do whatever subject that is.
Perhaps you quoted the wrong person on the wrong post?
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 04:25:31 pm »
+1
I found an example from 2012 VCAA  :P It does not say 'to the nearest whole number', but I think this still holds as evidence to confirm that it's 19 hehe

Thanks. It'd be nice to get confirmation in a VCAA bulletin or examiners report of how these questions should be answered. Whether you round up or round down, the final payment won't be the same amount as the others, and it's not clear (at least to me) why it's unreasonable to think that the final payment is adjusted by adding the outstanding balance to the normal payment (thus avoiding additional interest).

studyingg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 04:42:40 pm »
Thanks. It'd be nice to get confirmation in a VCAA bulletin or examiners report of how these questions should be answered. Whether you round up or round down, the final payment won't be the same amount as the others, and it's not clear (at least to me) why it's unreasonable to think that the final payment is adjusted by adding the outstanding balance to the normal payment (thus avoiding additional interest).

I agree, this knowledge shouldn't be expected from students, and it's a shame that finding this kind of thing out relies on reading examination reports and learning from the mistakes of others who were placed at a disadvantage by a lack of clarity.

userrrname

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 09:53:51 pm »
Hey guys so i know a lot of people are saying to round up but in the VCAA 2008 question 5a they seem to have rounded down? The answer is 52.4... and the examiner's report says that the answer should be 52 and NOT 52.4. Should i just ignore this because it was like a decade ago?

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 10:08:36 pm »
This doesn't disprove other cases.
In this case VCAA outright told you that the last payment is LESS than 350.
And the question asked specifically how many EQUAL payments there are of 350.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash