Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 02, 2024, 03:22:22 am

Author Topic: Course Transfers  (Read 942 times)  Share 

PazloWazlo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Course Transfers
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:46:31 am »
My atar was off by only a few points and i wasnt able to get into the bachelor's of computer science at Monash, however I got into the Information Technology degree. Is it possible for me to transfer to the computer science degree later on?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Course Transfers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:56:46 am »
+4
Yes, given that you get competitive enough uni grades (usually something like a 70+ WAM to be eligible, but closer to 75 WAM to be competitive) and fulfil all the prereqs. If you're doing this transfer after the first semester, ATAR will still in consideration alongside uni grades, but after the second semester. only uni grades will count.

I will say though, if you have the BCompSci as your Preference #1 (and you can still change it!), you might be able to sneak in via Round 2. Still enrol into the BIT for now though, so that you have a back up and unenrol before the census date so you don't incur any fines. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

PazloWazlo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:06 pm »
I remember our school highly stressed that you should accept first round as the chance of second round is considerably lower. However if I do decide to wait, i may have a chance for a spot if they still have seats available?
Also, thanks for the reply :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:07:39 pm »
+2
No worries!
I remember our school highly stressed that you should accept first round as the chance of second round is considerably lower. However if I do decide to wait, i may have a chance for a spot if they still have seats available?
Yup, that info is true. Chances in Round 2 will be much lower than Round 1 and in any round afterwards. Definitely accept the offer if you're cool with doing it for a little while (which you seem to be) and ensure Preference #1 is the BCompSci as I stated above. You'll still be eligible for any higher preferences, even if you accept an offer in Round 1, i.e. if BIT is Preference #2, you can still get the BCompSci at Preference #1. This includes if you switch preferences before Round 2. If they have any spots in the BCompsSci available and you've got everything else (i.e. you fulfil all the selection criteria, yadda yadda), they might just grant an offer for the BCompSci to you in Round 2.

If you reject the offer now, you might risk the chance of not having any offers made whatsoever, which is a sticky situation that you do not want to be in. (Unless you can't stand studying IT for a little while but can stand Comp Sci for some reason, please accept the offer.)   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread