Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 05, 2024, 06:53:43 am

Author Topic: MAC.ROB YEAR 10 ENTRY (please help)  (Read 4043 times)  Share 

honestlydontevenknow05

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
MAC.ROB YEAR 10 ENTRY (please help)
« on: September 25, 2019, 09:17:28 pm »
+1
Hi everyone! I missed the entrance exam for Mac.Rob 2020 this year, so I'm planning on sitting the exam next year to get into Year 10 for 2021.

If any of you guys could give me some advice, links, tuitions/ courses that can provide me with practice exams that are very similar to the real thing and etc to help me prepare for the examination...  that would be great!

I really want to know what I should study and what I should do in school to gain a spot in MGHS! Thank you in advance :)

(Also, though I go to a private Christian school at the moment, nobody tries out for these selective schools here so I guess I could say my school isn't a competitive one... would I have some advantages then? Like of course I'll have to do good myself but yeah)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:20:56 pm by honestlydontevenknow05 »

Shxh

• Forum Regular
Re: MAC.ROB YEAR 10 ENTRY (please help)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 10:59:24 am »
Hi everyone! I missed the entrance exam for Mac.Rob 2020 this year, so I'm planning on sitting the exam next year to get into Year 10 for 2021.

If any of you guys could give me some advice, links, tuitions/ courses that can provide me with practice exams that are very similar to the real thing and etc to help me prepare for the examination...  that would be great!

I really want to know what I should study and what I should do in school to gain a spot in MGHS! Thank you in advance :)

(Also, though I go to a private Christian school at the moment, nobody tries out for these selective schools here so I guess I could say my school isn't a competitive one... would I have some advantages then? Like of course I'll have to do good myself but yeah)
I’m trying for MHS next year (year 10 entry.) I sat the exam this year and I did not get in. My scores were, 2 superiors, 1 above, 2 highs. What were ur scores this year?

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:03:50 pm »
Hi everyone what topIcs should I brush up on for Year ten MHS test. I did not achieve a place into nossal or MHS my results were.

2 superiors
1 above
2 highs

Thank you for the help

honestlydontevenknow05

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 12:05:10 am »
I’m trying for MHS next year (year 10 entry.) I sat the exam this year and I did not get in. My scores were, 2 superiors, 1 above, 2 highs. What were ur scores this year?
I didn’t do it this year :) I was too late haha

Hels3266

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:54:07 pm »
hey ! so i took the macrob entry for year 10 2020 and my brother took the melbourne high entry for year 10 . here’s a bit about our experiences regarding the tests, and your chances.

exam :

the exams were actually the exact same to the melbourne high year 10 entry. however, exams were quite easy, i didn’t really take the year 9 entry, but i heard a lot of the girls saying it was easier.
the exam is quite similar to the practice ones online. although it is for year 9, the practice test is really similar to the actual exam. i strongly recommend doing those.

math : (30 min) this was pretty mediocre. it covered integers, indices, algebra, geometry, fractions, measurement etc and had one or two parabola / quadratic questions. it’s basically what you learn at school, so make sure you study well there. the practice test online has basically the same format as the exam. it might change, but basically they’re similar.

english : (20 min)  english was just reading comprehension, nothing fancy. make sure you have good time management as the texts can be quite long. my tip : read the questions before you read the text, you’ll save much more time. i didn’t really do JAC but my brother did and i used his english book a week prior to the exam because i literally did not study and it helped me  so much

writing : (40 min) most of the time, the prompt for writing pieces are creative as they measure the students creative ability. but still be prepared for persuasive just in case.  use a wide range of vocabulary, don’t stress too much, they give i think 5 minutes to plan. i saw somewhere to write in pen as pencil can be eye tiring to read. make sure your handwriting is eligible to be read, not too small, or too big. 

verbal reasoning : this test was similar to the online one on the selective entry website (i will provide links below). i didn’t really do much practice but the online test gave me an idea and did huge help to me. the format is quite similar, but as i said, it could be different but basically it’s similar. make sure you read lots of books and practice widening your vocabulary, for me, i used vocabulary.com and i wrote down words i saw that i didn’t know and it helped me a lot, they also have lists from other people you can use and it’s also for free. this website is definitely underrated.

numerical reasoning : (30 min) i don’t remember much of this test, i didn’t really practice for it but i know it is similar to the online one. my biggest regret was not practicing a lot of the online practice exams because they were so so so similar. dont be like me

chances :
macrob limited its entry for year 10. they only open positions to vacancies. unfortunately this year, no vacancies were open so no one made it in for year 10 2020 (or at least at the moment). which is kinda a scam.

for melbourne high, my brother got i think 3 superiors and 2 high averages and got into the interview. the interview consist of a group and individual interview that run for 30 minutes i think? i’m not too sure.

if you need more information or have questions, feel free to reply. i feel like i overestimated the difficulty of the test, it’s really not that hard it’s pretty average. don’t over stress yourself. i wrote too much i’m sorry if this is hurts your eyes but i hoped it helped :-)

edutest practice exams :
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx
vocabulary
https://www.vocabulary.com/
What extra curriculars did your brother do?

Shxh

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 03:34:04 pm »
my brother didn’t do too much. he did tennis, badminton and was sports captain. he also participated in a lot of academic activities like ICAS and australian maths competition and stuff.  he didn’t get into mhs but he got the interview.
Im in year 9 and I got into MHS for next year! :) Did you make it to macrob btw?

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 11:16:51 am »
Hello,

Anyone who has got a PD into a selective school and has not got in yet has a high chance of getting a late offer. People who don't have a Pd there is still a chance but its low. Don't worry about the test and work hard for next year.

Good luck