Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 09:07:58 pm

Author Topic: Degree vs Degree (Honours)  (Read 958 times)  Share 

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
Degree vs Degree (Honours)
« on: December 18, 2019, 11:39:02 pm »
Hey all,

I'm just wondering what the difference between a degree and a degree with honours is? For example, I'm doing biomedical science in a double degree and it isn't an honours degree, as my other option (engineering) has the honours. Would this disadvantage me in future career pathways relating to biomedical science since my degree isn't honours?

2019 vce journal here

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Degree vs Degree (Honours)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:03:25 am »
+7
For degrees that have honours integrated into the degree, it usually just means you undertake some research units throughout the degree and have to do a certain amount of research assignments. It's different to a lot of the 3 year degrees (eg: biomed, science, arts, etc.) where you do the degree and then have to get accepted into an honours year where you spend the year doing research and writing a thesis.

I imagine it depends on which field you're working in but unless you're planning to use the specific area you researched in an honours year or whatever in order to get you a job, I don't think it will disadvantage you. If you're doing a degree that will make you a registered professional at the end of it, having honours or not having honours doesn't really make an impact because as long as you meet the requirements for registration you're all good.

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:10:28 am »
+6
Hey all,

I'm just wondering what the difference between a degree and a degree with honours is? For example, I'm doing biomedical science in a double degree and it isn't an honours degree, as my other option (engineering) has the honours. Would this disadvantage me in future career pathways relating to biomedical science since my degree isn't honours?

Science honours is typically a pathway to postgraduate research (e.g. PhD). Science students who don't intend to go into research but rather go into industry will usually choose not do the extra honours year. In contrast, engineering honours is integrated into the degree itself. In your final year, you'll have the choice of doing a more practical project (possibly in a group), or doing an honours projected which is typically more research-oriented. You have to pick one or the other, so most students with the marks (usually minimum 65 WAM for entry) will opt to do the honours project, since it sounds better and looks better on paper. In terms of job prospects, I don't think honours will have that big an impact, unless your research was directly relevant to the role in which you're applying for. However, if the role is research-focused, then honours may help since it shows you have some research experience.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:12:34 am by blyatman »
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 02:17:01 pm »
For degrees that have honours integrated into the degree, it usually just means you undertake some research units throughout the degree and have to do a certain amount of research assignments. It's different to a lot of the 3 year degrees (eg: biomed, science, arts, etc.) where you do the degree and then have to get accepted into an honours year where you spend the year doing research and writing a thesis.

I imagine it depends on which field you're working in but unless you're planning to use the specific area you researched in an honours year or whatever in order to get you a job, I don't think it will disadvantage you. If you're doing a degree that will make you a registered professional at the end of it, having honours or not having honours doesn't really make an impact because as long as you meet the requirements for registration you're all good.
Science honours is typically a pathway to postgraduate research (e.g. PhD). Science students who don't intend to go into research but rather go into industry will usually choose not do the extra honours year. In contrast, engineering honours is integrated into the degree itself. In your final year, you'll have the choice of doing a more practical project (possibly in a group), or doing an honours projected which is typically more research-oriented. You have to pick one or the other, so most students with the marks (usually minimum 65 WAM for entry) will opt to do the honours project, since it sounds better and looks better on paper. In terms of job prospects, I don't think honours will have that big an impact, unless your research was directly relevant to the role in which you're applying for. However, if the role is research-focused, then honours may help since it shows you have some research experience.

Ahh, I see the difference now. Thank you both very much for the advice! :)

2019 vce journal here