Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 03:05:47 pm

Author Topic: Got an email from my vce coordinator  (Read 1329 times)  Share 

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Got an email from my vce coordinator
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:15 am »
“To get a study score of 30 you need to averaging around 75% in a subject as a rule of a thumb”

Why is the score so high
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Got an email from my vce coordinator
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:19 am »
+9
Maybe your school has easy SACs (or maybe they're just trying to scare you into studying more). Remember that VCAA doesn't really care what your raw study score is, the calculation for SAC score is from your rank + the cohort's exam results & that a study score of 30 means you have had average performance in that subject compared to the rest of the state.

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:19:09 am »
+5
This may be for your school’s SACs but is certainly not the case for the end of year exam so don’t take their words too seriously. Something like a 75% in a chem exam is generally an A which equates to a study score in the mid-high 30s so not sure where this coordinator is getting their info from. Just rank well in your SACs that’s what matters. Try not to get too caught up in the technical side of it all. In VCE hard work generally pays off. Good luck!
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

YussifK

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 12:28:16 pm »
Maybe your school has easy SACs (or maybe they're just trying to scare you into studying more). Remember that VCAA doesn't really care what your raw study score is, the calculation for SAC score is from your rank + the cohort's exam results & that a study score of 30 means you have had average performance in that subject compared to the rest of the state.

I’m actually scared cause I might not get high ranks which will make me fall to low 30’ study scores 😭 what study score would I get if just get above the middle rank

What is considered average performance
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:42:30 pm »
+7
I’m actually scared cause I might not get high ranks which will make me fall to low 30’ study scores 😭 what study score would I get if just get above the middle rank

There's no way of knowing for sure what score you would get if you were ranked in the middle since you don't know what scores your cohort will get on the exam. If you want to estimate this then the best way is probably to look up what the average study scores at your school. This isn't a perfect guess as your year level might tend to achieve higher or lower scores than the previous one compared to the rest of the state.

Average performance is just that - the average of how all students in the state studying that subject perform. It's not a set percentage. One way of estimating where you are compared to the rest of the state is to look at past GA distributions and compare your practice exam marks to the percentage of the state that achieved that on previous exams, however this doesn't really work until closer to the end of the year. Teachers tend to have a rough idea of where their students are sitting too so you could ask them after the school year has resumed.

Especially this early on, I would encourage you to focus on what you can do to improve and have strong foundations; this will help you get the scores you want more than knowing how scores are calculated will.

YussifK

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:45:44 pm »
There's no way of knowing for sure what score you would get if you were ranked in the middle since you don't know what scores your cohort will get on the exam. If you want to estimate this then the best way is probably to look up what the average study scores at your school. This isn't a perfect guess as your year level might tend to achieve higher or lower scores than the previous one compared to the rest of the state.

Average performance is just that - the average of how all students in the state studying that subject perform. It's not a set percentage. One way of estimating where you are compared to the rest of the state is to look at past GA distributions and compare your practice exam marks to the percentage of the state that achieved that on previous exams, however this doesn't really work until closer to the end of the year. Teachers tend to have a rough idea of where their students are sitting too so you could ask them after the school year has resumed.

Especially this early on, I would encourage you to focus on what you can do to improve and have strong foundations; this will help you get the scores you want more than knowing how scores are calculated will.

My school study score is 26 what does put me ?
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:42 pm »
+4
My school study score is 26 what does put me ?

This means that, assuming your level performs roughly the same this year, you want to be achieving higher than most people in your school to reach your goals.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:11 pm »
+6
“To get a study score of 30 you need to averaging around 75% in a subject as a rule of a thumb”

Why is the score so high
I am assuming they have done some sort of analysis and correlated the percentage that score above 30 in past cohorts to the sac average cutoff for those scores. For some subjects you may want to have higher scores whilst other lower may suffice.

As Bri MT has mentioned it is likely your sacs are on the easier side of things - nothing really wrong with that as your ranking in your cohort is what matters. Although if you school median study score is 26. 75% might be standard for a 30 study score since teacher's are meant to alter difficulty of sacs to make sure not everyone is failing and that the students are reasonably motivated i.e. not always scoring badly.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 01:59:32 pm »
+6

Hi YussifK, I just wanted to chip in and say don't worry too much about comparing yourself to others. (Especially rankings)
Before you even start thinking about Study Scores, take a deep breath. It is really hard to compare what ranking correlates to what study score as it depends on many factors, but one factor that pretty much stays the same is hard work and consistency to study. Average performance varies each year so try and do your very best! As Sine and Bri MT have said, you would most likely have to do better than most of your cohort based on your school's median scores.

I'm assuming you are going into Year 11 this year? If so, this year is a 'trial' year which you can try new ways of studying and understanding the content. Try experimenting with different stuff so later on, you have an idea of what works for you. If you don't get the scores you want at the end of year 12, remember there are still different pathways to your dream course. No one can ask you more than your very best effort, do that and I'm sure with a bit of persistence, the rewards will come  ;D