Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2024, 10:51:22 pm

Author Topic: Ways/how to learn without teachers guidance  (Read 1742 times)  Share 

SOULXX

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: -2
Ways/how to learn without teachers guidance
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:12:41 pm »
Is there any way like I want to stay ahead etc

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Ways/how to learn without teachers guidance
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 12:31:12 pm »
+5
Is there any way like I want to stay ahead etc
What subject is this for?

SOULXX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 12:10:22 am »
What subject is this for?

Methods English and bio

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:02 am »
+6
My usual format to study for almost any subject is:
make notes (following study design) -> complete practice questions with notes -> complete more questions without notes -> repeat for all AOS

For English, I find it a little more difficult to advance without teacher's guidance because my practice for English consists of taking notes for texts -> practising writing essays -> get teacher to mark -> write more essays using the feedback from teachers
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

SOULXX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 04:45:09 pm »
My usual format to study for almost any subject is:
make notes (following study design) -> complete practice questions with notes -> complete more questions without notes -> repeat for all AOS

For English, I find it a little more difficult to advance without teacher's guidance because my practice for English consists of taking notes for texts -> practising writing essays -> get teacher to mark -> write more essays using the feedback from teachers

When you day make notes by following the study designcan you please elaborate Moreno this and give me an example that will be good thank you fellow human

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 05:10:01 pm »
+4
When you day make notes by following the study design can you please elaborate Moreno this and give me an example that will be good thank you fellow human

Sorry for being unclear earlier. I will usually start a new document for each area of study.

When writing notes for each area of study I will look at the study design on the VCAA website. Under each aos there should be points/outlines that should be listed as key knowledge. I will usually write information and notes in the order stated by the study design and make sure everything is covered. It is always better to write more than listed in the study design, rather than less. However, make sure you do not write too much.

I have attached an example of my global politics notes. Btw I also usually choose to type my notes (except for methods; which is handwritten).

2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 03:32:13 pm »
+5
Methods English and bio
The tried and tested method for Methods is: Read Textbook -> Complete Textbook Questions -> Practice exams
So first learn the theory by reading + watching videos if you don't fully understand a concept. Then try to do the questions. Repeat this until you have finished the course. Then go to practice exams, even if you have completed the textbook most people won't do well on their first practice exams since it is a different style of questions but over time you will get better if you take note of the mistakes you make. I would like to add that the theory learning is a really important aspect as it can be tempting to jump in answer questions through trial and error or just learning via examples. However, once you get to the harder questions it is the mathematical theory that you will have to rely on since that doesn't change but the type/way the questions are asked does change.

As said above English is it bitter harder to get ahead so if you do feel like you have nothing to do you should be writing essays, getting them marked by a teacher or tutor. Then take that feedback and using it to write your new essays.

Biology is also a little tough since the textbook has way too much information to learn so unlike methods you can't solely rely on that. So you could opt for buying condensed notes and then supplementing areas of knowledge with the textbook whilst comparing what you are learning to the study design to make sure you are learning the correct areas.

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 04:39:16 pm »
+7
Hey everyone,

I've heard that Cornell note-taking is a really useful and popular method of note-taking.

Check it out here:

https://medium.goodnotes.com/study-with-ease-the-best-way-to-take-notes-2749a3e8297b

I hope it helps you all in note-taking,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019

By the way, it has been scientifically proven that if you take handwritten notes then you will remember those notes more than you will remember notes that you might have taken on a computer.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:40:59 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

SOULXX

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 02:45:24 am »
The tried and tested method for Methods is: Read Textbook -> Complete Textbook Questions -> Practice exams
So first learn the theory by reading + watching videos if you don't fully understand a concept. Then try to do the questions. Repeat this until you have finished the course. Then go to practice exams, even if you have completed the textbook most people won't do well on their first practice exams since it is a different style of questions but over time you will get better if you take note of the mistakes you make. I would like to add that the theory learning is a really important aspect as it can be tempting to jump in answer questions through trial and error or just learning via examples. However, once you get to the harder questions it is the mathematical theory that you will have to rely on since that doesn't change but the type/way the questions are asked does change.

As said above English is it bitter harder to get ahead so if you do feel like you have nothing to do you should be writing essays, getting them marked by a teacher or tutor. Then take that feedback and using it to write your new essays.

Biology is also a little tough since the textbook has way too much information to learn so unlike methods you can't solely rely on that. So you could opt for buying condensed notes and then supplementing areas of knowledge with the textbook whilst comparing what you are learning to the study design to make sure you are learning the correct areas.

I will do that for methods  and English thanks hope it helps, and what do mean when you said "most people won't do well on their first practise exam" how though like if they studied and done all the questions isn't that enough for a pass for a sac or exam

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 12:49:05 pm »
+3
I will do that for methods  and English thanks hope it helps, and what do mean when you said "most people won't do well on their first practise exam" how though like if they studied and done all the questions isn't that enough for a pass for a sac or exam
I mean, you will probably pass if you consider that to be getting over 50% but if someone is aiming for something like a 40+/45+ it is unlikely they will be at that level when doing their first practice exam. Especially considering there is a heap of difference between textbook questions and exam questions.