Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 12:38:17 pm

Author Topic: Question about emf  (Read 1896 times)  Share 

A Braindead 4Channer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Question about emf
« on: July 10, 2021, 11:55:07 pm »
yo so you know how theres a negative sign in front of the emf equation (emf=-n*(d(flux)/dt)), why is it there and when do you include it in your calculation? i could find the answer in my textbook or google but im too lazy so ima just ask here

MOD edit: Changed title
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:54:32 pm by ashmi »

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Re: question about emf n shit
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 04:43:26 pm »
+4
yo so you know how theres a negative sign in front of the emf equation (emf=-n*(d(flux)/dt)), why is it there and when do you include it in your calculation? i could find the answer in my textbook or google this shit but im too lazy so ima just ask here
It has to do with Lenz's Law. From what I've gathered, since a change in flux will be opposed, then they make the flux negative since else it would have the same sign (and thus implied 'direction') to the change in flux.
I don't think I ever had to use the negative sign in the answer, since all I ever got asked was 'find the magnitude of the emf induced by...' OR 'find the magnitude and direction'.
Just use the formula, then make the answer positive at the end.
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

A Braindead 4Channer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: question about emf n shit
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 07:08:19 pm »
ah i see, thanks for that.

p.s i see u got a 50 in physics, very impressive. did you get 100% in all your SACs and the exam? cus from what ive heard u have to be like in the 99.98th percentile or something crazy like that to get a 50 in any subject.

MOD edit: removed homophobic statement
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:47:42 pm by insanipi »