Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 08:23:53 pm

Author Topic: What's the chances of getting in Med/Dentistry/Optom from the Melbourne Model?  (Read 1344 times)  Share 

chickenpop

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
I keep hearing conflicting reports from representatives from Melbourne Uni, teachers and friends about whether it's realistic to get into Med/Dentistry/Optom from the Melbourne Model.
Is it actually realistic to think that you'll get in? What kind of GPA are we looking at to get into one of these postgraduate courses?

And what are the options if we don't manage to get in? I don't want to be wondering what to do with a Science Degree if I can't manage to get into one of my dream courses after 3 years :(

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
From what i understand, its not exactly a free ticket into those courses, it would be difficult.

You also have to contend with students from *other* uni's applying to get into the same graduate course you're getting into. Someone who has done biomed at monash can still get into the same medical course as someone who did biomed at melbourne. (Assuming high enough GPA).

I wouldnt risk it at, id try to get into the undergraduate versions of those courses. Otherwise you would be stuck with a degree you dont necessarily want if you dont get into the graduate degree you need. (3 Years down the drain and a degree you dont want.. not a decent combo).

Just strive for a high enough GPA. (easier said than done)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:34:13 pm by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research