Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 01, 2024, 08:56:48 pm

Author Topic: Doing Chem without 1/2?  (Read 2746 times)  Share 

Nomvalt

Re: Doing Chem without 1/2?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »
This is the last set of Chemistry I did at Year 10.
See if you know it all, or master it now.

Wow that's a lot more chemistry than my science class ever did in year 10. All that we really went through as a class was the periodic table, covalent/ionic bonding, isotopes/radioactivity and balancing chemical equations. Though I got my year 11 chem textbook pretty early as well so was able to cover much of the topics I would have been taught if we went through it properly anyway. Is this amount work covered normal in year 10 for Victorian students? I'm just curious, coz if not then I can see why mhs as a group does so well each year. What did everybody go through in year 10 chem?

iNerd

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:18 pm »

Wow that's a lot more chemistry than my science class ever did in year 10. All that we really went through as a class was the periodic table, covalent/ionic bonding, isotopes/radioactivity and balancing chemical equations. Though I got my year 11 chem textbook pretty early as well so was able to cover much of the topics I would have been taught if we went through it properly anyway. Is this amount work covered normal in year 10 for Victorian students? I'm just curious, coz if not then I can see why mhs as a group does so well each year. What did everybody go through in year 10 chem?
Ehh sorry. Unit 2.2 was eradicated from the course, I covered that personally. Oh and that was Semester 2 only. I didn't upload Semester 1 as it was 3.17MB...too big :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:40:36 pm by iNerd »

Ajsguns

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 06:40:02 pm »
Know about 3/4 of it the Some reaction types and equation part i didnt/havnt learnt.

I found TSFX summer course dreadful - I did it in the summer before Yr 11 and learnt very little.  Never did it again.

Cheers shall keep it in mind

Also having a look at the 2008 unit 4 exam seems like a foreign language i knew 1 answer on the whole exam.
Does anyone have a source i can learn how to balance equations? seems like it should be basic knowledge and i have no idea..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:42:13 pm by Ajsguns »

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »
Know about 3/4 of it the Some reaction types and equation part i didnt/havnt learnt.

I found TSFX summer course dreadful - I did it in the summer before Yr 11 and learnt very little.  Never did it again.

Also having a look at the 2008 unit 4 exam seems like a foreign language i knew 1 answer on the whole exam.
Does anyone have a source i can learn how to balance equations? seems like it should be basic knowledge and i have no idea..

First thing you need to learn is the elecrovalency table and the properties of the periodic table.
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

iNerd

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

I found TSFX summer course dreadful - I did it in the summer before Yr 11 and learnt very little.  Never did it again.

First thing you need to learn is the elecrovalency table and the properties of the periodic table.
+1. Emphasis was put on us during transition to memorise it. Attached.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 09:54:25 pm »
Learn/memorise/familiarise/do the following:
1. Electrovalencies (important)
2. Solubilities (not as important in unit 1)
3. Basic formulas (Avagadro's, the basic mole one, etc.)
4. Know the first 20 elements and electron configs, basic properties, etc.
5. Don't do all the chapter reviews (or you'll have nothing to do in the year before tests!)

Thats it.