Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 16, 2024, 05:22:46 pm

Author Topic: Hello Kitty's Help with Accounting Questions Thread Please  (Read 3263 times)  Share 

hello_kitty

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Hello Kitty's Help with Accounting Questions Thread Please
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:30:15 pm »
Any help would be great :) :) :)

1)   Explain the effect of GST incurred on credit purchases on the GST Clearing account

2)   Explain the relationship between the Creditors Control account and the Creditors Ledger.

3)   State two differences in the way the Purchases Journal is posted to the Creditors Ledger
        (as compared to the General Ledger)

4)   Explain how the Creditors Schedule aids in the control of creditors
        The Creditors Schedule aids in the control of creditors by listing the names and balance of
        each individual account in the Creditors Ledger.

5)   Explain the effect of GST charged on credit sales on revenue earned
        The GST charged does not affect the amount of Revenue earned, it simply increases the
        GST Liability owed to the ATO and increases the amount owed by debtors.

6)   Explain the effect of GST charged on credit sales on the GST Clearing account
        The GST charged on credit sales does not affect the amount of revenue earned, it simply
        increases the GST liability owed to the ATO, and increases the amount owed by debtors.

7)   Explain relationship between the Debtors control Account and the Debtors Ledger

8)   State two differences in the way the Sales Journal is posted to the Debtors Ledger (as
        compared to the General Ledger)

9)   Explain how the Debtors Schedule aids in the Control of Debtors

10)   Explain the benefit of recording transactions in special journals
        The benefits of recording transactions in special journals are that all similar transactions
        can be summarized, which will reduce from repetition.

11)   State why the Cash Payments Journal only identifies the account to be debited in the
        Details column

12)   Explain how the Cash Payments Journal is posted to the General Ledger

13)   Identify two differences in the way the Cash Payments Journal is posted to the Creditors
        Ledger (compared to the way it is posted to the General Ledger)

14)   State why the Cash Receipts Journal only identifies the account to be credited in the
        Details Column

15)   Explain why the name of each debtor is identified in the Details column.

16)   Explain why it is necessary to use a Cost of Sales Column in the Cash Receipts Journal

17)   Identify two differences in the way the Cash Receipts Journal is posted to the Debtors 
        Ledger (compared to the way it is posted to the General Ledger)

18)   Explain how the cross reference used in the individual debtor accounts is determined

19 )   Where a discount is received on a payment to a creditor, state the amount that should be 
         recorded in the following columns of the Cash Payments Journal:
                o   Bank Column

o   Creditors Column

20)   Where a discount is received from a debtor, state the amount that should be recorded in
        the following columns of the Cash Receipt Journal:
                o   Bank Column

o   Debtors Column

21)   State one reason why the amount posted to the Debtors Control account from the Cash Receipts Journal is not the same as the cash received from debtors

22)   Explain why there are two accounts cross referenced in the Debtors Control account when a Discount expense is incurred on a receipt from a debtor

Thanks!

luffy

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +23
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Hello Kitty's Help with Accounting Questions Thread Please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »
Below is how I would answer your questions: (Tell me if I didn't answer any of your questions well enough)

1) GST incurred on credit purchases is treated as if the GST was paid directly to the ATO. Therefore, it would decrease the GST liability (or increase the GST asset), which would be debited from the GST Clearing account.

2) The creditors control ledger describes the overall debits/credits on creditors, while the Creditors Ledger describes transactions with individual creditors, with their respective dates.
(I don't know if I explained that well enough)

3) The Purchases Journal is posted to the creditors ledger using the individual transactions on the date they occur.
The purchases journal does not use a double-entry when recording in the creditors ledger, while the general ledger will have both a debit and a respective credit entry.

4) -6) You already answered them?

7) The debtors control ledger describes the overall debits/credits on debtors, while the debtorss Ledger describes transactions with individual debtors, with their respective dates.
(Copy and paste from q2 - changing creditors to debtors :P)

8) The Sales Journal is posted to the debtors ledger using the individual transactions on the date they occur.
The sales journal does not use a double-entry when recording in the debtors ledger, while the general ledger will have both a debit and a respective credit entry.
(Copy and paste from q3 - changing Sales to Purchases :D)

9) The Debtors Schedule not only gives an overall balance, which can be checked with the debtors control ledger for accuracy, but it also lists all the balances of the each debtor in its calculations. These features assist in the control of debtors.

10) You already answered it.

11) The account to be credited in the Cash Payments Journal is always Bank. Thus, as it is always the case, it is not Relevant to mention this in the details column. It is for this reason that the amount to be debited, which varies with different transactions, is stated clearly in the details column.

12) The sum of all the debit columns, which should be equal to the total of the Bank column, is used as the amount to be credited to the Bank, which is cross-referenced to "Cash Payments." Each individual account, which includes the debit items in the payments journal, including each individual sundry item, must also be debited with their respective transactions.

13) The Cash Payments Journal is posted to the creditors (subsidiary) ledger using individual transactions on the day they occur, while the Creditors Control account, contains only the overall debit/credit entries and is only posted at the end of the reporting period.
The Cash Payments Journal is posted to the General Ledger using a double-entry recording system (i.e. a debit + a credit). The creditors ledger only has the debit entry, cross-referenced to bank.

14) The account to be debited in the Cash Receipts Journal is always Bank (asset). Therefore, it is not relevant to state it in the details column. As a result, only the credited account is stated in the details column.

15) The name of each debtor is stated in the details column to allow for posting to the debtors ledger. Without the names of each individual debtor, the user of the journal, could not post to the debtors ledger, because no specific details were given.

16) While the Cost of Sales column has no effect on Bank, it is still necessary to state the amount of the Cost of Sales expense because it is an expense related to the cash receipt of sales. This amount has a direct relation to each individual sale and must also be stated for accurate profit to be recorded. Consequently, it is used in the Cash Receipts Journal.

17) The Cash Receipts Journal is posted to the debtors (subsidiary) ledger using individual transactions on the day they occur, while the Debtors Control account, contains only the overall debit/credit entries and is only posted at the end of the reporting period.
The Cash Receipts Journal is posted to the General Ledger using a double-entry recording system (i.e. a debit + a credit). When posting the Cash Receipts Journal, the debtors ledger only has the debit entry, cross-referenced to bank.

18) When cash is received from debtors, it is always a "receipt from debtors," which decreases the debtors control account (in the form of a credit) and increases Bank, which is debited. Therefore, as the debtors ledger shows the individual debtors account, they must always be cross-referenced to Bank.

19) When a discount is received, the bank column states the "amount that was actually paid" (i.e. the value of the payment - the discount revenue obtained). The creditors column uses the "total value" of the payment, as this was the value of the decrease in the creditors account.

20) When a debtor receives a discount from a firm, the firm's bank column, states only the amount that was actually received (i.e. the value of the receipt - the discount expense incurred). The debtors column uses the "total value" of the receipt, as this was the value of the decrease in the debtors account.

21) The amount posted to the debtors control account is the decrease/increase in debtors balance. However, the debtor may have received a discount from the firm, to which the cash received from debtors would be less than the value shown in the debtors control account.

22) The credit to the debtors control account, refers to both the amount received and the amount of discount expense, which was incurred in the period. As a result, the cross-reference must be for both discount and Bank.

I'm not sure if I answered all the questions to a 100% quality.

Hope I helped.

hello_kitty

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
Re: Hello Kitty's Help with Accounting Questions Thread Please
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:29 pm »
thank you so much! that all makes sense too me!
how did you know these?? from the cambridge text book??

thank you!!!