Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 10, 2024, 03:58:54 pm

Author Topic: help with right hand rule!  (Read 1557 times)  Share 

simplicity123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
help with right hand rule!
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:23:09 pm »
hey guys can anyone help me with the right handrule when it comes to solenoids. Im getting really confused especially with the current direction in the coils and i cant figure out the direction of the force =x A diagram would be really helpful as well thx!

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
Re: help with right hand rule!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:49:45 pm »
Use the right hand grip rule on any part of the solenoid just becareful whether you are getting the direction of the magnetic field inside or outside the solenoid.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

simplicity123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:51:36 pm »
so I use the grip rule first to determine the field direction and then i can use the palm rule to find the direction of the force?

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »
Well the solenoid becomes a "magnet" with a north and south ends, if you bring it close to a moving electron then you can use the slap rule to find the direction of the force on the electron.
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

simplicity123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:59:55 pm »
o btw how do you do q.11 from checkpoints when they dont show what direction the current is flowing thru the coil? like the diagram is really weird =/

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:02:10 pm »
Wrap your fingers around the solenoid in the direction the current is going, then your thumb will be pointing in the direction of North, i.e. the magnetic field INSIDE the the coil.

Then you can use the right hand slap rule to find the force at any point in the field. Remember the direction is like:

<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-

->->->->->-> S->->->->->->->N -> -> -> -> ->

<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-                      

simplicity123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 03:28:12 pm »
thx alot it makes sense now! btw how do u do it in a case where u dont know the direction of the current in the coiled part, but only know the direction from the vertical bits, i hope u guys understand what im saying =x

on a side note is forces on a moving charge going to be examined(the section with F=qvb etc..)? My physics teacher said its removed so yea just confirming.

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »
thx alot it makes sense now! btw how do u do it in a case where u dont know the direction of the current in the coiled part, but only know the direction from the vertical bits, i hope u guys understand what im saying =x

on a side note is forces on a moving charge going to be examined(the section with F=qvb etc..)? My physics teacher said its removed so yea just confirming.
It's good to know about that formula... I remember /0 doing a proof using it so yeah it helps.

Just use the same grip rule on the vertical part and that gives the direction of the magnetic field IN the solenoid which you can extend outwards. Hard to explain with words need to actually show it lol
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

simplicity123

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 05:10:15 pm »
ah im not really sure what u mean by 'extending outwards' =/
also, when it comes to transfomer/transmission questions, i dont really get the difference between using normal current/voltage as opposed to RMS values. can anyone explain this to me? thx in advance =]