Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 29, 2024, 02:19:58 pm

Author Topic: Ransom Essay Topic Help Pleaseeee  (Read 1734 times)  Share 

ShortBlackChick

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +212
Ransom Essay Topic Help Pleaseeee
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »
The topic is: "What seems foolish is just is most sensible sometimes." Does Ransom support this view?

And I... have absolutely no idea where to start!
This is obviously something Priam says, so his redemption as a whole could be used as an example to support that it does, i thought.
While Achilles grief and his reaction to Patroclus' death, could be said as being not foolish but rather just human nature in times of hardship? Would I talk about that??
EDIT: The notion of chance?
OR/AND should I look at the question in terms of themes?
Like in terms of Transformation of self, bond of father to son, nature of war and human nature etc.
2010: History Revolutions 35
2011: English 3/4, Accounting 3/4, Economics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, International Studies 3/4.

This C**t, under the name of anonymous, started giving me shit and I called him a C**t and now look. I'm f****n banned.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Ransom Essay Topic Help Pleaseeee
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »
+1
It is a difficult topic, and it's good to see some brainstorming :)

(sorry I can't quote or give much, I haven't read it for about 3 months :( )

What first hit me was the notion of chance. A chance to escape from his kingly role, and chance to be an ordinary man (much like Somax).This notion allows himself to undergo a change and in effect, play out the many ransoms of the novel (if that makes sense :P ). I think your essay would focus on this aspect predominantly, because it is the main act of 'foolishness' that turned out to be sensible. Achilles was 'foolish' in his grieving for patroclus, but no real good came from that. The themes you listed can be used to point out different views of chance, but I wouldn't make this a thematic essay as such.

My train of thought atm: 
what was foolish? --> taking a chance ---> why? ---> against tradition, against the Gods will (maybe?) --> causes? --> Transformation of self --> transformation of others --> defying roles (king and warrior and carter) --> what is the significance --? redemption of humanity --> ransoms

Are inclined to agree, disagree or partially agree with the topic?