Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 14, 2024, 10:27:31 am

Author Topic: Mother of 5 to be hanged for insulting Muhammed  (Read 29237 times)  Share 

iffets12345

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
Re: Mother of 5 to be hanged for insulting Muhammed
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:38 am »
iffets, what bomb is saying though is that  we cannot live as we do in their countries yet they expect to live as they do in ours! Im not supporting or disagreeing with this as i am all out of debating-energy..but please...

No more debates!

Lets leave this, shall we?

lol yea, that statement was just bothering me for a bit.
Feel free to message on dentistry questions

bomb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:18 am »
   We (as a society) need to get away from the idea that, while poking fun at Jesus/God is perfectly tolerable, similarly poking fun at Mohammed/Allah is a no-go area. I hope someone writes an Islamic Life of Brian and it plays in every major city in the West, to alter that status quo.
Thank you for saying this!
+100.

I make fun of every religion equally :P

This hypocrisy extends. Westeners are prosecuted for kissing in public in Dubai whereas Muslims feel like the have a right to their own schools, toilets etc here? Get fucked. lol.

Uhhh...I don't really want to get into this debate, but I just wanted to say something about your comparison:
The kissing in dubai offends people of that country.
Does wearing the burqa or having separate schools actually OFFEND you?

Actually it does. Muslims don't need special schools. I think a uni built an expensive prayer facility lately for Muslims - that money could be spend in increasing the quality of education of each and every student there? So yeah, that offends me.

Perhaps I didn't word it as well as I could have but yeah, what kotza said.
“Great minds have purposes; little minds have wishes. Little minds are subdued by misfortunes; great minds rise above them.” Washington Irving

2010 Results
ATAR: 96.05

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2010, 01:53:24 am »
   We (as a society) need to get away from the idea that, while poking fun at Jesus/God is perfectly tolerable, similarly poking fun at Mohammed/Allah is a no-go area. I hope someone writes an Islamic Life of Brian and it plays in every major city in the West, to alter that status quo.
Thank you for saying this!
+100.

I make fun of every religion equally :P

This hypocrisy extends. Westeners are prosecuted for kissing in public in Dubai whereas Muslims feel like the have a right to their own schools, toilets etc here? Get fucked. lol.

Uhhh...I don't really want to get into this debate, but I just wanted to say something about your comparison:
The kissing in dubai offends people of that country.
Does wearing the burqa or having separate schools actually OFFEND you?
So we should decide whether something is overly offensive simply by whether people claim to be offended by it? Seems a rather vague and nebulous way of doing it.
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

superstar1

« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2010, 10:29:03 am »
it is only common sense that when u go to a country you have to abide by their laws, if u cannot do that then it is best for you not to go at all. so why be angry at muslim countries when all they are doing is enforcing their laws.

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2010, 10:40:57 am »
it is only common sense that when u go to a country you have to abide by their laws, if u cannot do that then it is best for you not to go at all. so why be angry at muslim countries when all they are doing is enforcing their laws.
I wouldn't break a law in a Muslim country for the reason that I wouldn't want to find myself before a Sharia court  -not because I think it's right to criminalise an activity simply because it offends peoples' sensibilities.
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."

Kotza

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • AEK ULTRAS!
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2010, 11:26:56 am »
You are totally missing the point.
He isnt saying that he wants to or would break the law in a muslim nation, or that them enforcing their laws is wrong, he is saying that if we cant kiss in public and undertake any other activities akin to this, then why should muslims get special treatment when coming to western countries like australia.

As you said it is "common sense" that you would abide by their laws, and of course it is, however it is the biggest case of double standards as even though they are not breaking any laws, they are creeping outside the norm and receiving benefits (burqas, taking valuable funding for mosques at uni's etc.) for simply being 'different.' Im not taking a side here just presenting the information delivered on this thread by posters.

Can this thread just be locked... its getting annoying lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:28:53 am by Kotza »

superstar1

« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2010, 11:39:05 am »
yes and in Australia there is something called "democracy" and muslims are practicing their rights in a democratic copuntry. so why feel threatened when they wear a burqa or have a beard.

Kotza

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • AEK ULTRAS!
« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2010, 11:50:32 am »
You are asking the wrong person. I never said i have/had a problem with it.

oh and that also wasnt the issue... i guess the only thing someone can get pissed off at is if these people (not only speaking of arabs but all immigrants too) are kindly accepted by this nation of ours and then demand us to shift our norms, culture and values to fit their needs and criticize us for not.

That would annoy anyone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:53:19 am by Kotza »

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2010, 12:02:05 pm »

So stop replying to it =.=
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2010, 12:07:20 pm »

So stop replying to it =.=
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

Kotza

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • AEK ULTRAS!
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2010, 12:52:11 pm »
But the whole purpose of this site would be defeated if people's questions were not answered/replied to ;)

lol im stopping now haha.

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2010, 02:07:15 pm »
yes and in Australia there is something called "democracy" and muslims are practicing their rights in a democratic copuntry. so why feel threatened when they wear a burqa or have a beard.
I agree with that particular point; the burqa can evoke a "fear of the unknown". I think it should only be banned for security reasons, in places where you wouldn't be allowed to wear a balaclava or a motorcycle helmet either.
                                      -Anais Nin

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
I think the crime shared by all religions is the fact that they have the ability to brainwash and blind youths from a young age, completely hindering their perception of the world and what is right or wrong. This thread itself exposes the impact it has had in our own backyard..

The people who passed these decisions in Pakistan exemplify the disastrous impact this can have. This goes for any religion.

Don't give me bullshit about right or wrong being completely derived from religion either. You don't need to read the Qur'an, Bible, Vedantic scripts, or the Torah to know such things.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

bomb

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2010, 04:42:41 pm »

I don't feel threatened by anyone's beard thankyou.

That's like me coming to your house and telling your family to take off their shoes before they enter :P
“Great minds have purposes; little minds have wishes. Little minds are subdued by misfortunes; great minds rise above them.” Washington Irving

2010 Results
ATAR: 96.05

iffets12345

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:39 pm »
You are totally missing the point.
He isnt saying that he wants to or would break the law in a muslim nation, or that them enforcing their laws is wrong, he is saying that if we cant kiss in public and undertake any other activities akin to this, then why should muslims get special treatment when coming to western countries like australia.

As you said it is "common sense" that you would abide by their laws, and of course it is, however it is the biggest case of double standards as even though they are not breaking any laws, they are creeping outside the norm and receiving benefits (burqas, taking valuable funding for mosques at uni's etc.) for simply being 'different.' Im not taking a side here just presenting the information delivered on this thread by posters.

..I can't really overcome the urge to respond to this. I get where both of you are coming from, superstar/kotza/muggedbyreality.

But when I said offend, I mean truly attacks your own personal values and morals. Us kissing in public, deeply offends them in such ways. But them getting an advantage with special treatment just evokes your outrage. I personally don't mind accomodating for them. They do need to pray at certain times and stuff and it's handy to have that facility for them. I just dislike that fact that it encourages them to be withdrawn in their own little world. But if they manage to mix with other non-muslim society then it should be alright. And I do agree, the bomb/security thing is a concern. Did they consent to letting female security check them?

And to that statement that something is offensive if someone claims it is: in this case yes, muslim people are extremely sensitive to their values presented to them by religion.

I just think that, yes, there are problems presented to us by the conventions of Muslim faith, and yes, we need to resolve this issues and can't be totally subservient to their needs in such a culturally diverse country, because that isn't fair. It's just trying to immediately modernise the way Muslims live in this society, with a NO U CANT DO THIS NO U CANT HAVE THIS STOP DOING THIS just aggravates the situation.
Feel free to message on dentistry questions