Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

June 17, 2024, 12:48:47 pm

Author Topic: Punk and Metal Thread (Cleaned it up)  (Read 2256 times)  Share 

Cianyx

Punk and Metal Thread (Cleaned it up)
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:04 pm »
Origins
Metal began as an off-shoot, a reaction if you will, from the Psychadelic Rock movement. Proto-metal bands such as Blue Cheer began exploring the concept of darker, distorted riffs. This formula was later pioneered by Black Sabbath in 1970 with their album titled Black Sabbath. The music combined various elements ranging from Gothic themes, Led Zeppellin styled Hard Rock and influences from horror movie soundtracks. This acted as the birth of metal music and the blueprint of what was to come.

Similarly, another movement formed in a similar fashion, the Punk movement. Influenced by a few Garage Rock bands (otherwise known as Protopunk bands) such as Iggy Pop and The Stooges. The band sparked an idea of minimalism. The Ramones proved that the pristine production of popular bands and complex playing of Prog Rock were irrelevant in songwriting. This created an explosion of interest within the underground scene which drew the attention of even the mainstream media.

Diversification
Heavy Metal, like Punk Rock, also exploded in popularity as it divided into two styles. The first was the famous New Wave of British Heavy Metal Scene (NWOBHM) which combined the neoclassical style with metal. Metal became extremely popular at the time with  Iron Maiden and Judas Priest acting as the leaders of the movement. The second style, Doom Metal, exhibited a stronger Black Sabbath influence. Witchfinder General was arguably the band which pioneered this style. A similarity both movements shared was that the original experimentation of Gothic elements in Metal were rapidly being progressed upon and added into the music.

The late 70s and early 80s were the glory days for Punk Rock. I cannot stress the importance of this period enough. The roots of virtually any form of Modern Rock music present today can be traced back to this movement. The first prominent style to come out of this is Hardcore Punk. The music embraced deconstructionist idea present in original Punk and expanded on it. This resulted in an even more atonal, abrasive, anti-authoritarian and aggressive style of music. Great examples of this can be seen in Black Flag and Dead Kennedys. Another form of Punk that also embraced anti-authoritarianism was commonly called Anarcho-punk. This movement adopted The Clash's Left Anarchist tendencies into their music, returning Punk to the correct Anarchist ideas (as opposed to the one bastardised by the Sex Pistols). The final one I choose to talk about is Post-Punk (If I were to go through all offshoots, we would be here all day). Well shit. Explaining Post-Punk is like explaining the colour blue but I'll try my best.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:18:23 pm by Cianyx »

jaccerz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Epitome of homosexuality [aka Metal Thread]
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:35:14 pm »
is that like from the 70's or some shit?
goals
nat pol = 42+
international studies = 30+
Engrish = 30+
Legal studies = who cares

Cianyx

Re: Epitome of homosexuality [aka Metal Thread]
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:10:02 pm »
1970-2011

Tobias Funke

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Punk and Metal Thread (Cleaned it up)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »
Iggy fucking Pop.
sometimes I feel as if I'd be more enriched in life if I bought an RV and started cooking meth

Duck

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »
So i lyk punk rawk n shit y'know Green Day, Blink 182, Fallout Boy.

Seriously though, if I hear one more person say punk is dead i think I will kill someone. No genre of music 'dies', it evolves and influences the next generation of musicians.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »
My favourite genre of music is actually symphony power metal.  Go figure.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Cianyx

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:42 pm »
I only likes deaths metals

Duck

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:38:26 pm »
lawl death metal pfft thats so mainstream. This is real music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-VR9LvSwd4&feature=related

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42:30 am »
lawl death metal pfft thats so mainstream. This is real music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-VR9LvSwd4&feature=related
That reminds me of Cannibal Corpse, who sound (to me at least) less like a serious band and more like a parody of the genre :P

(And I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to metal; I like Burzum, Cradle of FIlth, Children of Bodom, Meshuggah.)
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

Cianyx

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:20:36 am »
Burzum is indeed an amazing band. Have you heard his newest albums?

Duck

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:08:59 pm »
I like to read the comments on that YouTube page for laughs. I love the people saying 'if you don't appreciate/understand the music don't comment.' That's not music. That's a guitar so distorted you can't even hear different notes, someone smashing a snare drum and a dude doing pig snorts.

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 09:07:57 pm »
Burzum is indeed an amazing band. Have you heard his newest albums?
No, haven't listened to any new albums in years; my appreciation almost all of what I like was formed pre-2007. I should really try out some new stuff though and I'll definitely check out Burzum's latest offerings, thanks.
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »

The instrumentals are alright, but seriously those vocals put me off. I can listen to normal deathcore with screaming/growling etc but that warthog farting is just annoying =.=
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Ghost!

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Year 12, What up.
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:40:50 pm »

The instrumentals are alright, but seriously those vocals put me off. I can listen to normal deathcore with screaming/growling etc but that warthog farting is just annoying =.=

Reiiiiii! Reeeiiii REeeeei eeerereeeiiII!
2011 - English, English Language, Philosophy, Indonesian SL, Outdoor and Environmental Studies.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
Ah nice, some metal discussion
Although I don't listen to much anymore, metal was what I grew up with
From Judas Priest to Iron Maiden to Dragonforce to Kalmah to Amon Amarth
:O

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)